UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Song Are You Listening to Now?

guy

Here I try to use the cue-up option to skip the first 39 boring seconds of this song. It is a pleasant digression into psychedelic music by the normally bad boys of the rolling stones.

I am following K. Richards (latest?) bio audiobook on youtube, and started reflecting on Jaggers usual angry tone, which is absent here. It was odd since they started as evangelists of US blues, but added the twist of maze-smart white boys who were prepared to go beyond regret and kick down the walls of a stifling establishment. It seemed to surprise them that teen girls became excited to the point where Stones feared for their lives. I guess the girls gravitated to bad boys who could offer an alternative to stifling 1950's father figures  shaped by WW2 even on the home front. Stones songs more literally pandered to males neanderthal side, and maybe promoted that except in a few songs like this...

Edited by caesar novus

Here is a poor quality substitute for the fantastic video that seemed to have just been removed above. It depicts early rehearsals/arrangement for the Stones sympathy for the devil. In youtube comment section you can jump to various sections, such as an unrelated live concert of the song near the end. They mercifully omit the 35 takes needed for the actual recording. For some reason I am more interested in historical human drama than the song, and will yak a bit about it below the video.

The docu-filming was by famous Jean-Luc Godard for a dud movie. It's amusing to see some of the stones and their girlfriends self consciously overdressed for the occasion. The session piano-god Nicky Hopkins seems dressed and haircutted for church instead of his usual homeless look (partly from digestive disease that would kill him). The blond founder of the stones seems disengaged and patronized with possibly guitar mike switched off, and on his trajectory towards being fired and subsequent death. Too bad because in early songs he contributed really catchy embellishments.

The girlfriends who kiss and cuddle while helping with the chorus aren't just bystanders. The caped one inspired the lyrics due to a Russian novel she gifted to Mick. The other girl has famous involvement with the founder - was she the one he chronically beat up and had to be kind of re-assigned to another stone? Anyway the caped one suggested the signature woo-woo chorus, and that and conga drums finally elevated a kind of limp lamentation song to brash pop immortality.

Edited by caesar novus
  • Like 1

Kieth Richards has a unique guitar sound and style. He mostly plays with just five strings (and an open-G tuning):

Edited by guy

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of Russian culture to share. The video shows some picturesque episodes of pre-revolution Russia with landowners and nobility so bored of their life in the countryside that they stage a hunt and one of them plays its prey. The song's called The pink flamingo

Edited by Novosedoff

On 12/19/2021 at 10:26 AM, Elisa said:

I hope to be able to see King Crimson live at some point (before they retire anyway!)

Elisa: I like King Crimson from the 70's. The song you picked was written in 1984 and it sounds vaguely similar to this song written by Fleetwood Mac in 1968:

This is a song by King Crimson released in 1969 when they were truly fresh and innovative. (This performance was recorded recently):

Edited by guy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, guy said:

This is a song by King Crimson released in 1969 when they were truly fresh and innovative. (This performance was recorded recently):

I totally agree!!!I prefer their earlier albums too, but Matte Kudaisai is still one of my favourite songs :) I have to say I love Adrian's vocals on that track.

This is likely to match your tastes too

https://youtu.be/YfQkIsYjEAc

Beautiful, thank you!I didn't know these guys at all and they've been making music since the 70s!

Edited by Elisa