UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Song Are You Listening to Now?

guy

A little bit of Soviet movies from 70s and Stalin's voice in the bery beginning (with Georgian accent) 🙂

caesar novus may appreciate the views as barely no police can be seen on the streets (I dunno what he did in Russia back then if the police were always hanging around him as in N.Korea) 😄

Edited by Novosedoff

Here is a Russian movie that our guides were surprised was popular in US university towns. P.S. my first visit to Italy had police or militia everywhere carrying submachine guns at the ready,  due to urgent terrorism crackdown. They did not keep barrels pointed away from people and seemed in late teens with fingers on the trigger. Maybe Russia was in some crackdown mode when I visited.  My long walks find stuff not featured in news, like a smoking blown up bank in Athens not that long ago.

• Like 1

caesar novus, well, there could be like hundreds different reasons for the police to appear around. I was too young in 70s to be able to recollect much now. But I can assume that there could be many Russians who annoyed rare foreign visitors ( esp. if you resided somewhere in the deep Russia, not in Moscow or St.Pete) because they wanted to exchange something like music or whatever, others pressurised by the Soviet propaganda probably wanted to  share with you their twisted commie thoughts about the wickedness of the Western life style (sometimes in a rather aggressive manner as I can imagine) or simply to rob you. So to protect foreigners from local idiots or criminals the police would probably keep vigil over the places most visited by foreign tourists         

PS I know about the movie you attached to your post, but it may strike you to find out that I never had enough patience to watch it till the end 🙂 Not my type of movies... But luckily not every Russian would share my attitudes

Below is Russian prog-rock from 70s

Edited by Novosedoff

16 hours ago, caldrail said:

Stumbled across this. Champ Jaxon, an eleven year old blues prodigy. Enjoy....

Nice song. This song was released by Marcus King when he was twenty. Makes me long for a different time.

Edited by guy

Talking about blues, here's a song I like by Bonamassa (I think this performance at the Royal Albert Hall is one of his best) 😊

...and His Majesty Gary Moore playing Parisienne Walkways. Gary was out of this world.

Edited by Elisa
Spelling

Previous post reminds me of my live R&B gospel phase. Found festivals for that in New Orleans and LA, but mostly I hit Fri/Sat nite concerts in NYC Harlem or Bedford Stuyvesant (dangerous area to loiter in then). These were not filmed but let me recreate the feel. Imagine the below turbocharged with 2 drumsets, 2 grand pianos, and umpteen guitars. It's secularized, but audience in sequined nightclub garb still whirl in transcendence:

Edited by caesar novus

One of my biggest regrets in life (and I have quite a few) was missing the opportunity to see Stevie Ray Vaughn (SRV) in 1986. While I was in graduate school, SRV was playing two blocks away from my apartment in a small venue in Pittsburgh of about 3,700 people. I was "too busy," I guess. I promised myself I would see SRV the next time he came around. Unfortunately, there was never a "next time" as he died soon after in a tragic helicopter crash.

I recommend you see the performers you like before it's too late. I was lucky to see Neal Peart (Rush) and Chris Squire (Yes) within months of their passing. (I'm afraid to see Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones for fear that he, too, would pass soon afterwards. I suspect, however, that Keith Richards will be around long after the rest of us have crossed the River Styx.)

Below is a soundcheck (the preshow check on sound quality and equipment) for a SRV show.  SRV was a great talent, for sure.

Edited by guy

I keep my last working CD player preloaded with this ambient piece:

P.S. I had mixed results seeing living legions before they self destruct or whatever. Fine if they are on the upswing or even plateau of virtuosity. Not good if they are coasting downhill into smaller hicksville venues like where I used to live at. May be sinking into addictions or in one case despondent about losing a leg to diabetes.

On the other hand they may be on an inspiring rebound. I joined a free concert with one half of a famous duo who was tired of his jailbird partner holding him back. He played their familiar hits with more sparkle than ever, I believe to charm industry executives in the audience.

Somewhere in the middle was my only stadium rock experience. Now I read this was near a low point of Stones addictions and morale. Keith said for that exact concert he anonymously chartered a small plane to fly the bands collection of guns and drugs out to the next venue. He said between every song they partook of cocaine laid out in the speaker backs. They were integrating a new guitarist swamped with new material, and I think Mick was losing that authoritative voice edge. Keith said he overslept such concerts by hours because he thought audiences didn't mind. The band didn't dare wake him because he instinctively drew a gun from under his pillow.  That's why we wilted or fainted in brutal heat and humidity for a mediocre daytime event.

• Like 1