UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Song Are You Listening to Now?

guy

I think for any guitar player, this solo by Jimmy Page (from Led Zeppelin) is both unpretentious  and powerful.

“Dynamics…light and shade…whisper to the thunder. It invites you in. It is intoxicating.”

J Page

Edited by guy

That album cover above is familiar because I just heard a bunch of video interviews of musicians either on that album or on it's promotional tour. Top session musicians were seduced away from their other projects, even after saying no a bunch of times. They have a lot to say now, since albums often missed crediting them before.

Anyway I'm kind of reposting this song queued up at a display of singing skill 2:12. Bowie was having trouble getting this song up the charts, so he recorded a different version with less fuzzy affectational sound that he would sing to in promo venues. At the start of this vid they have an embarrassing long pause getting the music tape started. Unfortunately it lacks the majestic fade out and in of drone guitar at the end; I think that could have been drawn out to embody the encore at concert endings instead of the usual awkward stop and starts.

Edited by caesar novus

10 hours ago, caesar novus said:

Anyway I'm kind of reposting this song queued up at a display of singing skill 2:12. Bowie was having trouble getting this song

Although I am kinda addicted to the western music, Bowie is definitely not one of my favourites 🙂 But perhaps I am just not so much familiar with his music, that'd be more fair to say. I mean, Bowie's name did come up a couple of times within my field of interest. I do remember his wonderful duo with Bing Crosby (frankly, Crosby is way more interesting to me than Bowie) - the Little Drummer Boy. It's like the time when I studied in the UK, the whole student campus was going nuts about the Oasis, but I just couldn't stand their music 🙂 Anyway what other things by Bowie would you recommend?

Here is another inspirational piece of music by Dirty Art Club. It's just come out.

Edited by Novosedoff

8 hours ago, Novosedoff said:

Anyway what other things by Bowie would you recommend?

Nothing other than the couple I posted, and live versions can be the best. I thought I was running out of ideas (I listen to a lot of silence now), then realized many of the obscure gems I have on deteriorated tape may be discoverable on youtube. Cue at 16m31s:

Edited by caesar novus
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, caesar novus said:

That album cover above is familiar because I just heard a bunch of video interviews of musicians either on that album or on it's promotional tour. Top session musicians were seduced away from their other projects, even after saying no a bunch of times. They have a lot to say now, since albums often missed crediting them before.

Anyway I'm kind of reposting this song queued up at a display of singing skill 2:12. Bowie was having trouble getting this song up the charts, so he recorded a different version with less fuzzy affectational sound that he would sing to in promo venues. At the start of this vid they have an embarrassing long pause getting the music tape started. Unfortunately it lacks the majestic fade out and in of drone guitar at the end; I think that could have been drawn out to embody the encore at concert endings instead of the usual awkward stop and starts.

This reminds me that David Bowie recorded an Italian version (!) of Space Oddity!The lyrics were written by Mogol, the best Italian songwriter. Call me blasphemous but because it is in my mother tongue and because the lyrics are so good I almost like it more than the original 😊

One of my biggest regrets in life (and I have quite a few) was missing the opportunity to see Stevie Ray Vaughn (SRV) in 1986.

I missed Tony Iommi playing literally round the corner from my house in Rome in a small club...and then I missed Black Sabbath's farewell tour while living in the UK. I can't forgive myself for that, given that Black Sabbath are one of my favourite bands of all time.

Edited by Elisa
Forgot link to song!