UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Greatest Barbarian Threat

What barbarrian tribe was the biggest threat towards rome during it's decline?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What barbarrian tribe was the biggest threat towards rome during it's decline?

• Vandals
    • Visigoths
    • Huns
    • Germanic Tribes
    • Other

Strangely enough, we can't edit the number of choices in a poll, only the text.

Tough to answer really... 'During the Decline' should be more defined. I consider what the Huns and Vandals did to be proverbial straw that broke the camels back, while the Goths were the catalyst tribe that persistently pressured the declining Rome. Much like the fall of the Republic, the fall of the western empire is a mosaic made up of many pieces.

• 9 months later...
Sorry if i didn't include all of them i couldn't remember alot. :P

I'll go with the Vandals. Their seizure of the Roman granaries in Africa and their piracy of the Mediterranean hastened the economic decline in the west. Expeditions sent by the eastern emperors further drained Roman resources that left them vulnerable to the other barbarian tribes already inside the empire.

• 2 weeks later...

The huns. According to Peter Heather - and I agree with him - were it not for the Huns, the whole volkwanderung would not have taken place, and Germans of whatever name would not have sought sanctuary in Roman lands.