UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

How the Celts Saved Britain BBC documentary

Provocative two-part documentary in which Dan Snow blows the lid on the traditional Anglo-centric view of history and reveals how the Irish saved Britain from cultural oblivion during the Dark Ages.

...first part gives a pretty good insight about what happend once the Romans left Britain.

Oh great. Dan Snow's contribution to history is to claim the Irish recreated England. Actually, Dan Snow is, in my view, being provocative for the sake of it. The Irish cultural and religious influence dominated for a while but was offset by saxon and Roman power. The kings of Wessex did not give up their thrones and become pious beggars in Dublin - they went to Rome. irish christianity and its somewhat harsh expectations was unable to counter Roman christianity and its comeback, particularly since it was tied to Anglo-Saxon success in domination of the British Isles.

My advice? Enjoy Dan Snow's television programs but never forget he's a telelvision presenter who does history, not a historian who does television. So keep a bag of salt nearby.

What am I to do with this bag of salt I just purchased via your recommendation? I'm going to start watching this video tonight.....

Always interesting to hear an alternative point of view, whether it's accurate or not. Let us know what you think once you've watched it, Caldrail.  ;)