UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome seeks £25 million to save Emperor Nero's lavish palace

£25 million appeal to save Emperor Nero's lavish palace, which sits on a hill opposite the Colosseum, from collapse. On Wednesday archaeologists from the cultural heritage ministry announced a bold plan to strip away the existing park, cutting down trees and removing hundreds of tonnes of soil, in order to replace it with a landscaped garden designed to protect the palace below from further damage.  The new garden would be planted on a much thinner stratum of soil, meaning that it would exert far less weight on the palace and less water would percolate into the building...

...more at the Telegraph

No. Absolutely not, it's retarded. 

I am going to make a counter offer.... I'll offer to buy 1 platoon worth of shovels, and the Italian military can back a  half ton truck up once a day to this park, and fill it full of dirt after screening it, and take it away..... and the next day a new work detail of new privates can show up, dig..... for free. They are getting paid anyway.... it's how they excavated Caral in Peru.... and its a way more important place than Nero' s crappy little palace that he blew so much of other people's money on. We shouldn't give any more money to that madman' s ego. 

The Italian equivalent of the corps of engineers can pop in once in a while to make sure it's going as plan, and if no archeologists are interested in supervising the troops dig, they can have a garbage bag of artifacts dropped off at their office every so often, with IPhone photos of where it was found.

Not a dollar more for Nero. Romans didn't want to preserve this stuff, no big deal to me if it just crumbles as they intended. I like history, but don't want to emphasize its most  psychotic decadence as the most worthy of perseverance. Are there no more diseases that need curing, or orphans in need? Isn't Haiti about to have another humanitarian crisis.... Bill Gates, save your money for something good like that. We can get some Italian privates to knock this crap out way cheaper.