UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Evidence of a Roman Stargate?

Onasander

Erm... No. Evidence of television viewing and a familiarity with a certain american sci-fi series based on a Hollywood film. This really is Von Daniken style abstraction. I'm sure the hoop has some significance but you shouldn't judge it on a coincidential appearance to an idea cooked up by screenwriters. The relationship of the figures in the scene is important. Notice they're all relaxing - not travelling or fighting evil symbiotic aliens - and that the figure in the hoop appears to be holding it in place rather than expecting a breathless transition to some faraway planet. Also note that the figure is naked in a non-sexual context, whcih suggests something to do with Roman mythology.

Its the Constellations signs on the ring, that can easily be worked in, a newer advance stargate that can transmit you via a matter stream, or the world soul..... you turn into a astrological ancient and.... do stuff. Then go through the gate again, as ordinary matter.

You gotta give stargate applause for militarizing classical archeology and mythology.

And it wasnt Americans, but Canadian. American TV isnt as obsessed with the US military, but most canadian series feature it or alien military systems. Its something they are fascinated with.

Not really. Science fiction and radical archaeology have been distorting ideas for a long time. It is a plot device after all, not some revelationary experience, and Stargate, for all its competent production, is often excruciatingly naive and mawkish - not to mention deliberately irreverent - though in fairness sci-fi television often is. The modern Doctor Who revival exploits that avenue to the breaking point.

Whoa, who said anything about competent production? Your giving it too much credit, in a area few fans would. Most of the sets sucked, and half the show was filmed in gravel pits and rock quarries. Im surprised they didnt have rusted out volkswagons tipped over in feral fields in the background of alien planets.

Compared to the sets featured on classic Dr Who, the work done on Stargate was satisfactory. So everyone's a critic? Well, I crticise too occaisionally, but the reality is that tv sets are expensivve so production makes use of whatever they can. For instance, it was recognised on Star Trek NG that if the pilot episode did not feature a scene in the engine room, the set would never be built.

Dr. Who built sets? I thought everything was just filmed at different viewing angles in Cardiff.

Honestly, I never been to Cardiff, but I think I could easily find my way around because of that show.

The inside of the TARDIS easily took like, 300 refrigerator boxes and 20 cans of paint to make, and a half disembled bicycle. Its not exactly high tech. For a while there, they didnt even bother with a cardboard TARDIS, the doctor lived out of a car and used randomly connected plumbing supplies to fight the enemy illegal immigrants from outerspace.

No, good grief, I'm talking about the classic Dr Who (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/), not that modern Cardiff rubbish. The modern series is of a far better production standard, albeit ruined by excruciatingly awful plots and overly insistent music scores. If you want a sci-fi series with the least money spent on stage sets, check out the classic Dr Who. You will never find shoddier special effects ever.

I like the BBC orchestra Dr. Who songs. I like, bought four of them. It helps fund the Queens Royal Train or something.

Ive seen alot of the old Dr. Who.... cardboard sets, painted with Styrofoam features for texture.

Stargate Atlantis sets were the same, just the modelers, and designers had several more decades experience naking sets, so it came off looking better, but its still cardboard nailed to 4x4s, painted to look solid, and people run around holding rubber guns, and fake gadgetsmade of nothing parts. The details are more aesthetically pleasing, as well as coherently realistic within a larger logic.

Dr. Who could land anywhere in time and space, so literally anything could go. He "steampunked" alot of stuff.

it's a matter of budget. Dr Who was woefully underfunded in the early days and whilst it still gets limits applied today, can afford to be somewhat more detailed. Then again modern production methods are better and special effects cheaper and more 'real', especially now that computer rendering and animation can add details via a green screen that were impossible in the 1960's.

Plus, its the only damn show the BBC has that has international export value. I think that TV show funds itself. Its on amazon prime (old episodes) and the new series sold in walmart for 12 bucks a half season, 20 bucks a full season. Unlike 6 years ago when the crackheads trued selling it 50 to 70 dollars a season.

Needless to say it was a massive illegal download hit sold at extreme prices like that.

You never see Red Dwarf on sale here. Something called Downton Abbey is being pushed alot, but lit just looks like a bunch of victorjan people in a mansion smelling one anothers farts, so I refuse to watch it, ever. I will naw my arm off if chained and forced to watch it. Also something called Sherlock too.

Its odd noting the cognitive differences between the US and England via the shows prejudices as well. A good example would be the minataur episode, where the creature fed off of faith, and the doctor mentioned higher civilizations give up on faith and banish them..... but its exactly the Europeans who have the hardest time with faith drjven scientism.... it doesnt occur to them its the case when you point it out, they literally cant see their bias and contradicting irrationality until they advocate a new idea building on it. A good example js global warming. Its pure faith driven, taken on the words of authority figures, and the will literally repeat and back up syllogistic arguments, without being able to explain the facts via Diaeretic investigation..... which they should be able to if they understand the facts.

Its really bad in australia though, they took it so far they think eating wild kangaroos and camels from the outback is more humane, ethical, and helps with air pollution!

They call it Cameltarianism and Kangatarianism. The ancient Egyptians and many in India to this day took their food cults to extremes too, eventually coming outright to worship c

Onions. Romans used to rip into them all the time for that. Europe is heading down the looney tunes road, but swears up and down its more evolved and advance, beyond good and evil and a sense of faith. I want to do a Benny Hill salute to them all.

Oh.... Mr. Bean did good here. Black Adder is a cult hit. Monty Python movies okay. All the other crap no one watches..... your country can barely speak english, everyone is pudgy, pale, and have bad teeth, and your clothing choices are questionable, at best. I used to think Dr. Who dressed eccentric, now I know..... everyone in England gets their clothes from the free box at the salvation army. Also the plots are questionable at best..... its a boring island..... worst that can happen is you bruise your knee or get a staff infection. Crime rate is way higher though..... I suppose you could work in a good stabbing each episode so the American audience can see what England is really like. Honestly, your crime statistics beat us in every category except homicide, and thats only because the Queen said enough and took all your guns away. I would hate to see what would happen if everyone was armed again, it be like the movie 28 days later..... just death and pandemonium. Everyone in Downton Abbey shooting each other quite seculary, with a stiff upper lip.

Thats England. I hear Judge Dredd is also a pure English creation..... set in "New England" so as to allow its readers to read it guilt free. Is that where the English are going?

Plus, its the only damn show the BBC has that has international export value.

I think "Top Gear" is BBC's biggest export. I'm not exactly a fan but it seems to have worldwide appeal, especially amongst male viewers - what's not to like about a bunch of middle-aged men playing around with cars?

Wait..... yeah, Ive seen like two episodes of top gear.... the one in Vietnam where he is chugging up a hillside in a bike painted as a american flag, blarring 'born in the usa'.

Its a good show. I wouldnt buy it, but it be in my top choices if I was in the hospital flipping tv channels to watch. Depends on what kind of surgery the TLC channel was showing.

The BBC are a major exprter of television programming. Sorry you haven't seen our creative output but then claiming that the English don't speak English rather proves a lack of observation and knowledge of history and linguistics. It's our native tongue, old boy, not yours.

Its our native tongue, and we are the largest speakers of it, in terms of population of native speakers in a single country. You should also stop disrespecting the Queen and use her system of measurements, instead of that frog Napoleon.

My state has THE OLDEST dialect of continuously spoken English. Yours has, people who speak some kind of neo-gibberish.... that is increasingly not English.

Edited by Onasander