UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Why is the BBC failing as a news organization?

Onasander

In the last few years, the BBC started to recover from it's intellectual slide. As some of you know, I'm addicted to international news website, and check the BBC regularly.

I tend to get big war stories a few days in advance before they pop up, but have come to accept this. It's been over a week, however, since middle eastern sites started reporting ISIS took 40kgs of Uranium from the University of Mosul, and are actively discussing setting it off as a dirty bomb in London.... not one story I've seen.

But we get plenty of this confused dribble:http://m.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30310934

If it comes to Global Warming, Socialized Medicine, or liberal politics (which is hardly a thought out theory, full of contradictions by default as it's untested and dispersed, yes any theory has these flaws, but like Fascism and Communism before and after they became a experienced reality, had such contradictions as well, same for democracy in the beginning. Untested systems tend to utopian ideals, and thus oversights.)

The BBC, I'm increasingly convinced, is a force of suicidal lemmings. They got it right in pushing internationally, but they seem to be rather superficial, and drop the big obvious stories that really should matter.... like setting a dirty bomb off in London, while chasing after every exciting yet ultimately failed story from around the globe by what they perceive to be their ideological confederates. They got stars in their eyes and trip over every branch on the ground.

It's time to show off your degrees, strap on your thinking caps, and stop being a bunch of confused self important twats. Especially when investigating OTHER COUNTRIES NEWS. It's great to cover a minority view point in that country, but also cover everyone else, and study the underlining deposition of the psychology and why rifts occur. Don't just go with the viewpoints of a couple of friends who are reporters there too cause they dye their hair blond and carry the same faux luxury chanel purse too.

This is really embarrassing. Higher standards please! You started to do so well, but take these incredible olympic high jump plunges into the shallow side of the pool. Is this really how Oxford taught your lot to think, like stoners?

Edited by Onasander

And I know it's not a culture gap issue here, it's just sheer stupidity and incompetency. Both England and the US has a concept called Mens Rea:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

In order, under our inherited and similar legal system, prove "racism", you gotta prove it was intentional in the very act in the court, not some general trend only evident through biased exposition of some classes of fact.

Knowing this, BBC and most responsible news organizations should of asked, if it's near impossible to prove these cases, and when circuses are made about them, pointless riots and racially motivated showtrials... which nearly always, for very enlightened reasons fail for lack of evidence, resulting in jury nullification or not guilty charges.... to drop the racist angle all together, and look at a thinker like Rawls, and his Veil of Ignorance. Ask 1) What are the use of force criteria 2) was there evidence if a overstep of force 3) why the policeforce failed to train itself (lack of funding isn't a excuse, too many vets from the military serve in police forces who know what it is).

If it's done this way, you'll get convictions. You try a invisible hand of racism approach, you'll fail everytime, especially in crime ridden neighborhoods.

Media is the forth estate, they need to be competent enough to grasp these things, and not feed into the political rhetoric of the dumbest common denominator one sided each and every time.

http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/isis-claims-constructing-dirty-bomb-stealing-40kg-uranium/

This is one of the stories about the uranium. Good news is, Britian just opened a visa center in Basra, so it's certainly not going to happen.....

Meanwhile, news comming out gets more and more banal.

Oh, dear.  Oh, dear.  Oh, dear.  You can't go around saying things about Auntie when there are Brits around to hear.  I know they look upon her as a bit of a dotty old Auntie with questionable behaviour, and somewhat of an embarrasment to the family; and they do spend many long hours slagging her off to each other.  But woe betide the foreign national that dares to join in with that slagging off.  So, care must be taken when throwing stones in Auntie's direction, particularly people who inhabit that particular glass house that gives us Fox News.

:naughty:

For rational argument, I can only offer up the statement at 1:10 of this.