UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fining Fat People/ Burning People Alive

Onasander

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/03/former-obama-adviser-should-tax-fat-people-by-body-weight/

I recall, it was either a tax or a fine maliciously charged to fat people in Celtic society. I always considered it as evidence of how demenred and hate driven the Celts were. It's a very childish position to take in ordering society. Yet, it's resurfaced in the modern world. It's a shame civilization is degrading itself so quickly, so willingly, on the short sighted roar of euphoria and dreams of a dysutopia I pray may never come.

You also have the case of the Jordanian Pilot.... ISIS burned him alive Roman Style, despite willingness to reach ransom demands.

Ancient psychology is starting to reassert itself. Kiss the world goodbye. But as everything around us collapses, we have a chance to study the reemergence and psychological motives and experiences of these sickos, and the idiots who glorify such acts.

If you never could grasp why the celts could accept such practices, ask people who get fined today for insight. Why Romans would execute people in such absurd fashion, and it's social impact, study those societies. Why Carthage was so accepting of child sacrifice, ask a British feminist abort abortion.

It doesn't always exactly equate in terms of how the formula was structured, but the underlining design of the human brain was the same then as now. Most elements of the formula would still sit and be processed psychologically in the same way, even if a nuanced aspect of thought leads the ultimate conclusion elsewhere. It's a great time to study barbaric acts, but not necessarily a great time to live.

No, they only burned Nicholas Cage.

Honestly, has anyone found any evidence if that? I severely doubt a wickerman could hold very many people, and if it did, the wood would have to be tension bound (bound by ropes, ropes burn, it falls apart), or thick sturdy hard to burn wood.

It takes alot.... I do mean a lot of wood to burn a single person near the flames inquisition style. You put me in a wicker, with others, more than likely you'll just get us to cough and piss on the flames below, and we'll pry the burnt wood.... If the flames even rise, off.... leaping out and stabbing.

Honestly, may be the dumbest hypothetical method of torture ever devised. Maybe a single person in a small wicker man.... who happened to be standing in a wood pile.

Think of the trojan horse. If you set that on fire at the feet, how long do you think it would take to burn the whole thing? A long time, and before that, it would break apart with instant burnt tipped spear like beams all around the pissed off survivors falling out from inside.

Not really.... There was a migratory tribe of Indians here 6000 years ago that would cremate their dead, bone fragments even then would survive in the ash. You would think we would of found one of these sites by now, especially given the skeletons (yes, skeletons) of a pile of charred human bodies would be quickly picked up upon, as well as dating charcoal via carbon and tree ring analysis.

Where are the Celtic place names for these wickerman sites? You'd think there be some rumor of a story locals would recall.

H

I think it's bull. What's the procedure for getting them all inside? You would have to either maim or bound and tie everyone. Where is the surviving Celtic myths? The temples to this God in later Roman times once the local and foreign religions began to merge?

Why literally no trace? You think something would survive. That people smart enough to build a giant wickerman could build a seigetower of sorts and crush caesar, or light his wooden walls on fire. They early would of grasped how to build weight supporting large wood structures and how to burn them quick..... Yet didn't know how to apply that technical knowledge when it mattered in breaking a siege.

Makes you wonder why the Gauls in Cisalpine Guam never did this either. That no former Romans noticed this....

Hmmmmm.....

Wait - I thought it was the Druids who burned their victims in wooden cages.

No, it was the Gauls who got up to those sort of shenanigans, but Caesar mentions that the Druids oversaw such rites to keep things under control, though as yet no archeoligical evidence for the 'wicker man' has been found.

Romans did very similar things to ISIS, they did impale people, burn people, placed people in metal statues and cook them alive inside, hang people (I can only recall one reference to a hanging of a live person, but not as punishment but as suggested suicide).

Just, I don't think they had gasoline then, so it be hard for them to do this exact version of burning the Jordanian pilot alive. But they would of immediately of grasped this new tech I suppose in regards to grewsome ways to kill someone.

Honestly, why no Wickermen in Cisalpine Gaul? You think someone would of observed this before Caesar.

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/the-wicker-man-poster.jpg

Edited by Onasander