UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Battle Of Paraitacene

Valens

Alright, just got done typing this one. I originally posted it on another history forum I go to, but I figured it may have use to someone here. Likely somewhat confusing as I couldn't find numbers for the individual units I've listed.

---

Battle of Paraitacene

Background: 317 BC. Antigonus has begun his expansion. Moves towards Persia to confront Eumenes.

Antigonus's Army: 28, 000 heavy infantry; 10, 600 cavalry (3, 700 heavy); 65 elephants; and an unspecified number of light infantry. His lineup: The left wing comprises of nearly 7, 000 light cavalry and some supporting light infantry (specifically, from farthest left heading right: Median/Parthian mounted lancers and archers, Tarentine cavalry, a Phrygian and Lydian cavalry force, another force of Median cavalry, the Lysanias, and the Asthippoi); the center consists of the 28, 000 heavy infantry with 35 elephants and some light infantry in front (the heavy infantry going from left to right: Mercenaries farthest left, small force of Lycians and Pamphylians, a large unit of mixed race, and the Makedonian infantry to the far right); the right wing consists of the 3, 700 heavy cavalry, the remaining 30 elephants, and a force of light infantry (from left to the right end of the battle line: force of mercenary cavalrymen, larger force of Thracian cavalry, Greek cavalry, and the Companions under Antigonus's son, Demetrios. To the right of the Companions, there is an interesting setup of light infantry and cavalry which is flanked on the right by an oblique line of elephants. I'll describe the aforementioned light infantry/heavy cavalry setup from front to back: three ilai [150] of slave cavalry, 300-strong cavalry force led by Antigonus himself, another three ilai of slave cavalry, and a force of 100 Tarentine cavalry to the rear).

Eumenes's Army: 6, 000 cavalry; 85+ elephants; 17, 000 heavy infantry; and in excess of 10, 000 light infantry. His lineup: He has 3, 000 heavy cavalry with 6, 000 light infantry and 45 elephants on his left wing (from farthest left heading right towards the center: Elephants and light infantry support the flank, to their right are two ilai[100] of lancers with Eudamus's Agema behind it, heading right is a force of Areian and Drangianan cavalry, next is the Mesopotamian and Arbelitian cavalry, then Arachosian cavalry, then the Paropanisadian cavalry force, and to the farthest right is a force of Thracian cavalry); his ceneter has the 17, 000 heavy infantry with 40 elephants and another large force of light infantry in front (the heavy infantry from left to right: Mercenaries on far right, unit of mixed race, Argyraspid infantry force is next, and farthest right are the Hypaspists); the right wing has around 3, 000 cavalry with part of the elephant force (extending from the center) and a large force of light infantry in front (the cavalry from left to right: Carmanian cavalry, to its right are the Companions, continuing right is an agema of cavalry [300], to its right is an agema led by Eumenes with a 300-strong force of specially selected cavalry behind it and a force of slave cavalry in front of it, and farthest right is another small force of picked cavalry).

The Battle: Antigonus intends to advance in an oblique line(refusing the left) so that his force of 3, 700 heavy cavalry on thr right can use their numerical advantage over Eumenes's left. However, the commander of Antigonus's large light cavalry force on the left, Pithon, decides to engage anyway. Eumenes decides to bring some cavalry from his left over to his right to launch a counterattack on Pithon, and, after some initial success, Pithon is routed. When the two center forces of heavy infantry met, Eumenes's force routed the Antigonid infantry. Meanwhile, on the Antigonid right, Antigonus takes advanatge of the gap created by the advance of Eumenes's center, and attacks Eumenes's isolated left. Antigonus routes the isolated force. Thus, Eumenes has to regather his pursuing center and right to regroup. Likewise, Antigonus regathers his fleeing army. However, Eumenes's army refused to restart the battle and march back to camp. So, Antigonus marches back onto the empty battlefield and claims victory.

Note: I haven't proofread this yet, making the chance for errors high. Corrections are welcome.