UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Library Tomb at Celsus wasn't that odd

Onasander

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Celsus

I've been going through footnotes in the Celsius library page, and I need to make it clear it wasn't odd, a special honor, or even illogical that it was a Library-Tomb dedicated to his father, the first Greek Roman Senator.

He couldn't really deify his dad, as that process was just for Emperors at this point (please point out if I'm wrong, as I only know of Emperors being deified in this era) and the idea of a Saint in the Christian sense was likely on the periphery at best.

Next best option is the Library of Alexandria option. It WAS a tomb. And scholars were hooked to it, we maintain to this day fond memories of its inner ceiling. It was one of the very few luxurious indulgents you'll likely find philosophers otherwise voluntarily impoverished accepting during long hours of study.

You can't hope for a imperial divination, but as a proud, priestly Greek family, they would of known about Alexandria, and it was a clever option to take. It gave the family a higher and more enduring fame that lasts even to this day. You have to factor this parallel to Alexandria into this, as well as the fact people are still fascinated by it. It worked, better in fact than many imperial tombs.