UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Summer Solstice

longbow

A Celtic midsummer myth is being revived at a moorland park in Cornwall on Saturday night.

Six giant sculptures will be brought to life with fire as part of an event to celebrate the summer solstice.

The organisers of the Midsummer Music and Burning Festival said it is an opportunity for people to get in touch with their 'inner Celt'. Link

The neo-pagans in this area are having fun with the solstice falling on the first day of the new moon.

Myself, or more precisely the urban pagan in me, I will be honoring the solstice by watching "Forbidden Planet" with a two-year-old who can't go to sleep with the sun out. ;)

Six giant sculptures will be brought to life with fire as part of an event to celebrate the summer solstice.

It seems strange to me, that this holiday celebrates day of the solstice now. Celts celebrated winter coming whereby (approximately on November, 1) and summer coming (approximately on May, 1).

The solstices and equinoxes figure prominently in more modern, New Age interpretations of paganism. Neopaganism as it's called.

As far as historical paganism, the solstices and equinoxes were probably important in the Mithraic cult.

Anyway, I shall celebrate by sitting on my porch, reading a book and enjoying the outdoors while the sun lasts. :-)