UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Onasander

Roman Christians Knew of Evolution

I've been reading Bishop Nemesius of Apamea, his "On the Nature of Man", and in the beginning of the book he is engaged in a discussion of evolution, from the intelligent design perspective!

Our current model of evolution that is generally accepted has some painful gaps in it, as a result of ideology in building science from science (new science can carry prejudices, maleformed ideas, and metaphysical assptions in it without much question.... on the basis of faith alone, so long as the previous generation of self appointed scientist accept it, and no acceptable theory overturned it, or seriously questioned it's authority).

He seems to very cleverly get around the current gaps in evolutionary theory, such as Cellular Autonamata series (the patterns of that create chaotic patterns from very simple rules, these patterns can be grouped together in comparative series, some survive, some neutralize themselves) by exploring Greek and Neoplatonist thought and assumptions.

Its a very welcomed discovery, as were at the embarrassing point in science that new ideas as to what evolution is, or how it came about in the first place, more or less died off in our age. It was a dynamic force between our grandfather's and great-great grandfathers era, but became dogmatic and hollow very fast with no further insights about the universal aspects of what evolution really is. If I was to approach, say a Mathematician and ask if he could explain all phenomenal change inherent in evolution as a expression of pure mathematics, and not just a few proteins (such as the double helix, which would be but a aspect of a overall much larger explanation), I think the vast majority would tremble. Genetic mutation doesn't for example, explain, mechanical or numerical mutations as the later uses not DNA. Its a mutation, but what is a mutation when the object of study isn't cellular? we've never consistently categorized mathematical formulae to systematically list these aspects and how the interrelate with matter (or any unit of reality). Expect of course, biological systems on earth, a few dispersed systems in cellular autonomata, and rogue theories like Samuel Butler's Terminator like ideas about the rise of artificial intelligences.

Hi-Five to the Romans for having a farther glance to the horizons of thought. They certainly outpaced Richard Dawkings here.

What mechanical and numerical mutations are not explained by mutation? What gaps are there? You are intentionally vague in your comments about evolution.

Anyway as a proponent of Intelligent Design the onus probandi is on you. Show us an example where the Intelligent Designer interfered with the laws of nature to change the course, in which DNA developed. Show us this supernatural force at work.

If you are interested in the knowledge that ancient Romans had about evolution, you would be better advised to read Lucretius and Epicurus instead of Christian and Neoplatonist authors, whose superstitious beliefs ultimately caused the decline of antique civilization and science.

• Like 1

My 50 year old prostate is clear and unambiguous proof of some extremely unintelligent design.  I would elaborate, but I've just got to nip to the loo again.

• Like 2