UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The bastard wars, according to Herodotus (Archaeological Finds)

pretty incredible!

argxngz9.png

Gass thinks the vessel depicting the old man slaying young warriors is a representation of the "bastard wars" as described by the Greek historian Herodotus. As Herodotus tells the story, the Scythians were engaged in a 28-year war with their neighbors. the Persians. When the Scythians finally returned home, they found intruders in their tents.

They were the bastard children of the Scythians lonely wives and their slaves. Gass believes the slaughter that ensued was important enough that it was described in detail on the vessel. Herodotus writes that the grown bastard children went forth to engage the returning warriors, and many lives on both sides were lost...

via Digital Journal

Two things I note, he has a sword sheath on his right leg, sword in left hand. Sword handle is straight, no guard, no curve to sword.... But the sheath is unusual, it comes out pointy on either end, which would leave the sword rather insecure, but easy to pull out if riding a horse..... but I thought they were chariot based during this period.

It could just be a dagger, have seen them with the odd pointy sides, but can't recall which society or era they belong to. I can't decide if that is a rope, horn, or sword handle coming out of the sheath, looks like it connects to the belt. I was first drawn to this possibly being a very clever handle, I've seen some calvary sabres similarly designed to be held in such a way to reduce the shock of impact, but I increasingly have me doubts about this initial assumption.

Secondly the pendent on his head, its the upper body of a man.... a torso, arms, face. First time seeing a Scythian.

Not exactly the best position to be in for delivering a finishing blow, especially to the head. The attacker exposed his middle, all the "bastard" has to do is push foreword and he can trip him up and toss him to the ground. Holding a sword and hair put the attacker in a false sense of superiority, he can easily lose in this stance, as his hands are occupied.

No shield.

Edited by Onasander