UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Free Resource Site For Authors

Skarr

I have recently volunteered my services as a reviewer to help out a newly launched site (July 19 2005), which aims to serve as a Resource site for authors of historical ebooks or historical works of fiction that can be submitted for review in an electronic format.

You can check this out at : http://greatebooks.blogspot.com

The publisher is not only looking for authors to submit their works to be featured / showcased on this site for a week (with a review and links to their author page or selling outlet), but also reviewers who are willing to volunteer their services.

Reviewers will earn some exposure (as a link will be provided to their web site and a brief bio, including the works they have published already will be provided on the site) if they are accepted.

The site also has a link to tips and other information that may useful to new writers or writers thinking of writing a novel or a work of historical fiction. This is something I've put together for the site, based on my own experiences as a writer. I also plan to include a section later on how you can publish and then market your book, once it has been written and edited.

Ebooks of new, established or even unknown writers will be featured / showcased for a week, provided they meet the Submission Guidelines outlined on the site and are accepted for review by the publisher, who will then pass along this to me for review.

I have offered to review books set in ancient Rome or Greece but I don't think I'm qualified to review books set in other time periods. In case any of you writers out there are familiar with other time periods, please contact the publisher directly [ links to his email are available on the site]

The most important thing is that all of this is free and is available to any author, as long as the work being featured or showcased on the site is of a historical nature and can be submitted electronically for review.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the frequent challenges that any writer faces is to recreate the Roman world as it existed then and while history / biography and various other literature that exists certainly help, there are two books which I particularly liked and which you can use for research purposes. These books explore certain aspects of the daily lives of the Roman people, their private lives and may prove useful material for those looking to write that next novel or story set in ancient Rome.

One is a book called "A History of Private Life" - From Pagan Rome to Byzantium

Editors : Phillipe Aries and Georges Duby

Another book I liked (very concise book but well written)

Life in Ancient Rome by F.R. Cowell

Check these out if you are looking for some good information on life in ancient Rome.