UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Four Book Of Vegetius

You know, unless he's talking about establishing cities, he has to be talking about a Roman Fortified Camps. It doesn't make sense, number one in both your and my workings have talk of artificial vs natural... Byzantium was on good ground, and still required fortifications. Why would Vegetius write about this? I doubt new WALLED cities were popping so quickly that he felt compelled to write on that subject, but as a advocator of tradition Roman military forms... this would be a concern of his, wouldn't it; To Build your encampment in the open defended by it's trenches and walls, or in a naturally fortified position with little expendature of human and natural resources. Hmmmm, it just seems right. It's a legitimate concern for any commander, ancient or modern.

1. Ciuitates aut natura aut opere debere muniri.

The cities that ought to be fenced eoither with handwork, or nature, or both

The community/city/town/states or the nature or to owe to the need to be fortified.

In this, I suspect the latin word Ciuitates, which by my translator gives six possible meanings; naturalization/community/city/town/state/citizenship really means the Roman Army Camp; from my understandings, the Ancient Greek ideology allowed them the right to settle down and form their own city-state, military service being the basis of citizenship. The Romans, heavily influenced by Greek and Etruscan tradition, would of followed this tradition. I don