UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Best movies set in Ancient Rome

guy

• 1 year later...

With A.I. generated content gaining traction, I'm curious to see if any writers will leverage it to create movies that would otherwise be out of reach.  I prefer movies with real actors, but if some clever screen writer created some new historically accurate movies or series dramas about ancient Rome, I'd be for it.  There's already 1,000 movies about Julius Caesar, why not do Marius and Sulla, Trajan, or some other interesting point in Roman history?  It wouldn't cost much either, relative to traditional movies.  You could pull out all the stops.  If anyone in the film industry reads this, think about it!  🙂

It's not about Rome, it's about whether a film company can sell a film about the Romans. Having dealt with Hollywood on a screenplay project, this was something they emphasised from the very start. No matter how good the story or what it's about, the biggest obstacle is getting the producer to see the project as potentially profitable.

Having had an hour long pitch over the telephone to a Hollywood producer, my concept of a a period thriller based on the Varian Disaster turned into a comedy with a female lead. Okay... If you must.... But what killed the project was I got a phone call from the mediators asking me for fifteen thousand dollars to hire a non-union professional screenwriter.