UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey: Using video games to teach

guy

OgZA0R.gif

Video games have become increasingly historically accurate. It is not surprising that they are being used as a learning tool, especially for a generation more accustomed to these games. The game “Assassin’s Creed Odyssey” has a historical plot set in ancient Greece (431-422 BC) during the Peloponnesian War.

Associate professor Andrew Denning says that the increasing sophistication of history-based video games and the growing number of professional historians who themselves  grew up on such games are making inroads on long-held skepticism about using such methods in the learning process.”

https://greekreporter.com/2021/10/15/ancient-greek-history-video-games-part-college-curricula/

Edited by guy

1 hour ago, caldrail said:

A dangerous policy. Kids will start thinking that video games are a uniformly accurate source of information. They're not.

Although I agree with your statement, I would also caution students about the veracity of traditional sources (both modern and ancient). LOL

I agree, for example, that the Persians in the movie “300” where caricatures. That said, the movie did spark renewed interest in an ancient conflict.

Hi Guy,

Perhaps the mystery schools have never gone away and align their deeds in the sky?

Are we to play the modern game or have a game with the play?

Are the mystery schools like the Eleusinian mysteries and Isis cults still operating?

To set the scene to an historical event, i need to explain the astronomical alignment with their stars, being Sirius and the centre star of the Belt of Orion, called Alnilam.

The rules are simple enough, the Sun moves one degree approx. a day along Eastern horizon with equates to 4 minutes of time, which is why i use one degree margins.
There are 3 day starts and four directions therefore with each star it could be possible that 12 times in a year this is possible, but we are looking at two stars being Sirius and Alnilam which can double up on certain days at location, this can be both stars setting with the Sun with ancient Greek day marker, or it may be Alnilam on Nadir or IC and Sirius setting at Sunrise, being ancient Roman and Egyptian day marker,

We can work this out that at any location, this will happen approx. 22 times a year, the three day starts are ancient Greek day start, being the sunset previous to date, ancient Egyptian day start, being sunrise, and modern midnight after 1582 and start of Gregorian Calendar, the Directions are due North, South, East and West.

I thought i would start with President  Lincoln, obviously what i write could be co-incidence, however as interesting as Assassin's Creed to some people.

The video below i find spine tingling, because Sam Seymour was the last man alive to witness a sad auspicious event in history on par with the assassination of Julius Caesar.
The program was called "I have a Secret", and must have been on tv in 1960''s as he was 94 at the time!

I

John Wilkes Booth used to like being an actor in the play by William Shakespeare called The Tragedy of Julius Caesar,  as the civil war broke out he later joined a group called the Knights of the Golden Circle, which may have aligned their deeds to the stars like ancient beliefs.

The Golden Circle were established on 4th July 1854 in Lexington, Kentucky, i will show star alignments tomorrow.

https://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com/

By approx. 1800, Alnilam wasn't rising with the Sun in Philadelphia on 4th July by one degree margin it was on the move due to axial precession, so we find it in Lexington, Kentucky as this is a latitude alignment that was also showing up by this time in Washington DC.
A very interesting alignment and could be intentional for day picking the event, very like what happened in ancient times!

kv5be2074a.png

Edwin Booth was broken by his brothers actions. John Wilkes Booth loved playing Brutus on stage so loved symbolism, it is likely he mixed up the symbolism of Jesus Christ and the Assassination of Julius Caesar when he murdered President Lincoln, on Good Friday.

A letter was posted in the New York Times, which is below, the Civil War was family splitting putting brother against brother:-.

pg5be1ead4.png
Edited by Monk
Edit

Edwin Booth never recovered from his brothers action , John Wilkes booth was also a shakespearean actor and was reported to have said "Sic Semper Tyrannis" when he shot President Lincoln, links below:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Booth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis

I'm leaving links to the assassination of Lincoln below, please read carefully:-

https://acws.co.uk/archives-biography-wilkes_booth

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/abraham-lincoln-team-of-rivals-180954850/

By reading both please note that John Wilkes Booth and fellow conspirators had a meeting to plan how to kidnap President Lincoln, this meeting was on 15th March 1865, no doubt he found the symbolism fitted his black humour being the IDES OF MARCH.
He had planned to kidnap President Lincoln in Washington DC on 17th March 1865, but the attempt didn't happen, as Lincoln changed his plans.
April 14th 1865 was Good Friday, so i feel that John Wilkes Booth thought the symbolism with assassination was auspicious, but he had only found out earlier in the day that Lincoln would be attending Fords Theatre!
Finally this day wasn't aligned to a day marker, but the conspirators had planned simultaneous assassinations of Lincoln, Secretary of State, William Henry Steward and Vice President Andrew Johnson, all at the mysterious time of 10:15pm, perhaps not so mysterious!