UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Final Gap in the Fifth-Century West

sonic

On 10/20/2021 at 4:46 AM, sonic said:

Finally, the last in the series of books covering the last century of the Western Roman Empire is now available for pre-order:

Constantius III

I always confuse Constantius III with Constantine III (the Western Emperor of Britain).  Most of us know little about Constantius III. His wife Galla Placidia is better known to most of us. (Her life is worthy of a television series.)

This will be a valuable resource for students of Roman history.

Ian: Were you able to find many ancient sources on Constantius III? Archaeological and numismatic evidence?

This will be your fifth book in my library.

Congratulations!

Edited by guy

There were a few ancient sources on Constantius III, plus a few coins.  Archaeology, not much!  Strangely, given his period as patricius etc., there isn't anything specifically about him - no panegyrist like Claudian or Merobaudes.  His main notices concern the wars with the Goths and the settlement in Gaul.

Oh, and thanks for buying the books!

Edited by sonic

• 1 month later...

I see your book will be available early next year here in the States. On my list.

I found this old thread on Galla Placidia. This should be your next screen play (LOL):

Galla Placidia: Why no movie? - Colosseum - UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Galla Placidia was the beautiful daughter of a powerful and great emperor. She was the sister to two young and weak emperors. She was the wife and empress to a brave Roman general. And she was the lover of a mighty barbarian Gothic king.

Her story is a true tale of passion, love, scandal, betrayal, and intrigue.

Galla Placidia: A woman who witnessed the collapse of the Ancient Roman world around her.

Galla Placidia: The woman who tried to save an Empire.

Edited by guy

I see that a gold Constantius III solidus went for more than $81,000 in 2009. Rare, indeed.

4EC5401D-64CC-4435-B32F-1DDB67D09B36.jpeg.3749fe92fb3417f9dd9c70a45027d192.jpeg8CBB6D0F-A5D6-4C17-8BAF-D4B751A9F08B.jpeg.86e99a0a8cb9b5d30ad1c52c4ce806ff.jpeg

Constantius III, 8th February – 2nd September 421, Solidus, Ravenna 421, AV 4.46 g. D N CONSTAN – TIVS P F AVG Rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust r. Rev. VICTORI – A AVGGG Emperor standing facing, head r., holding standard and Victory on globe, spurning captive with his l. foot; in field, R – V. In exergue,

https://www.icollector.com/Roman-Emp-Constantius-III-Solidus-421_i8604883