UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favorite archeo tours by video?

caesar novus

Here goes a bunch of mostly thumbnailed videos introducing Roman archeology visitation sites. Find ones you like, then you can hunt videos in more depth. As this can be ungainly to load, I have an alternate list version in perhaps a more fitting location at https://www.unrv.com/forum/topic/19385-list-version-favorite-archeo-tour-videos/.

One really remarkable series on youtube that includes Roman sites is https://www.youtube.com/c/ProWalks/videos  . Put it on a big screen in 4K and turn on closed captions which has a lot of historical footnotes. See his Hadrian's Villa, Appian Way, Pompeii, Herculeum, etc and feel free to post comments there. I think he gets the low level details right but not the background context, which folks here would know better. There are a bunch of similar, really copycat, channels that I think don't quite measure up.

https://www.youtube.com/c/toldinstone/videos  has a more scholarly slant, and more channels which I will try to recall and append here. Maybe it would be better to post each good video.

Edited by caesar novus
  • Thanks 1

Here is the Italian Guide experience with some unique perspectives. Suitable for small screens due to tragically low resolution. Poor audio quality benefits by turning CC on.

https://youtu.be/EiDVvxXCmQ8 (less interesting)

Or you can just subscribe, and various old items will now and then sprinkle into your recommended list.

Edited by caesar novus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here I attempt to cue up 35:33 at a chapter of a Volterra video called Roman Theater and Baths. It's not spectacular; more of a consolation prize for being on the losing side of a civil war. But see how these chapters work for Roman cherrypicking in similar general videos. You can detect chapter names by sliding down the time bar, and for instance skip the Etruscan crap :). On my TV this is especially well supported by arrow up letting you jump to named chapters. In this case the cameraman briefly wanders offsite to re-enter at lower level, so don't prematurely think it's over:

I liked that last one with none of the summertime haze, altho I think spring or fall beats winter visits. As this page is getting slow to load, I downshifted less interesting videos to hide their thumbnail launchers. Not sure how often to repeat channels here since interested folks already had chances to subscribe. Don't forget to switch on informative closed captions, and look for chapter breakdowns.

Altho fine on a digital device, the 4k res ones can be incredible on a large immersive TV. That is unless you cheaped out like me with one of those unbelievable holiday bargains. They can look fine running in a showroom, but about a quarter of (poorly stabilized?) youtube videos drive the anti judder feature nuts. However you adjust it the pixels jump around more or less; thanks Samsung!

Edited by caesar novus

Wow, lots to watch.  Thanks, I'll have to set aside an afternoon or day to get through them all.  I did like the Pro Walk tours last year. Spent many hours with that guy roaming around Italy.

Also did a Pro Walk in Cairo. Amusing thing I saw while "we" walked on outskirts of the city along a wall, sorry can't remember exactly where; but there was small group of veiled young women talking when suddenly a slap fight broke out!  ha ha  It managed to get on camera for several seconds.