UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Tea in Ancient Rome

guy

We have had previous threads about the food and diets of Ancient Rome.

The article linked below supports the consumption of tea in China centuries before the Roman Empire.

“An archaeological team from Shandong University, east China's Shandong Province, has found the earliest known tea remains in the world that date back about 2,400 years.The discovery traced physical evidence of the origin of China's tea culture back to the early stage of the Warring States Period (475-221 BC), roughly between 453 BC and 410 BC. It extends the age of the country's popular beverage, as suggested by previous studies, by more than 300 years.”
“The stem-and-leaf-like carbonized residues were found in an inverted porcelain bowl. Subsequent data showed that the caffeine and theanine content in the residues was low or even absent. Since these two substances are easily soluble in water, the researchers concluded that the unearthed tea samples were dregs left by ancient people after boiling.”

The argument has been, however, that tea was only a more modern import to Europe (in the 17th century).

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-12-02/Archaeological-finding-traces-Chinese-tea-culture-back-to-400-BC-15F607k9E5i/

We know, however, that there was at least medicinal tea in Ancient Greece:

The above article and thread make me reconsider whether tea was drunk in Ancient Rome or not. Here is an older thread on the debate:

Edited by guy

Doesn't this assume that the Romans enjoyed hot beverages at all? Warm, yes, we know they did. But I don't see any references to brewing hot drinks. I might be wrong on that, just that such things haven't come to my notice.