UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Propaganda on the forum

Novosedoff

Hi all,

I'm gonna tell this only once, so it's up to moderators to decide if they want or need to take any actions.

I normally get notifications of the new posts on the forum via RSS channel, given the fact that there not many visitors or open discussions. The very last post kinda made me raise my eyebrows. I screenshot the post and copy it here, so moderators could see it and check the below link too. Apparently there are not many Russian speakers on the forum, so the target group gotta be very narrow. 

https://www.unrv.com/forum/gallery/image/228-using-the-strigil/?do=findComment&comment=2914&tab=comments

I ain't here to tolerate the pro-Ukranian or pro-Kremlin propaganda, and I am easy to come - easy to go kinda person. 

So if moderators think it is time for me to leave, that's ok. Otherwise, I'd appreacite any efforts so that no such updates would ever come up in my RSS feeds again. 

Thanks for understanding.

111.jpg

An alternate way of accessing new stuff here is to visit https://www.unrv.com/forum/discover/ once or twice a day. I forget how RSS works, but it must be why folks seem to check my posts before I am done with important edits. About 90 minutes after I make a post, I often realize with horror how something may be taken the wrong way and correct it. Then I check online users at the bottom of https://www.unrv.com/forum/ to find my premature version seems to already have been read.

• Like 1

Yeah, RSS is considered as a bit old-fashioned these days, but I've just got attached to using Feedly  and alike. One can actually filter out a lot of noise by using a blacklist of keywords and additional free services like feedrinse.com before loading anything to feedly or a local app.

Unfortunately, not many websites support RSS these days. In fact, if a website generates high traffic due to too many visitors and new posts, then it becomes very cumbersome to load everything through RSS, because the number of idiot posts or questions would normally exceed the number of sensible un-biased posts. So one has to pay a special attention to that before loading adding any new channel to his/her RSS feeds.

As I already said in private, I ain't blaming anyone for that particular propaganda post, which may be due to a website security issue, mis-settings or insuffucient moderation of the newcomers posts.

Although given the forum's unusually strick policy on the number of views without registration (no more 5 pages to see), such penetration of the undesirable content may seem a bit suspicious, esp. for a paranoid person like me 🙂    

Thank you for flagging that up. I've checked the permission settings and there were a small number of forum sections where users were able to make posts without first being registered. The "Home > Gallery > Everything Else" was one of them. I also see there are other spam/automated comments, usually with links, in this section that date back to around 2017 which I need to delete, but I've removed the one you've highlighted and amended the permission settings now to prevent anyone that isn't registered from being able to post any comments anywhere in the forum. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Peter
UNRV.com

• Like 1