UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Chesters Hill Fort (nr North Berwick, Scotland)

Gordopolis

After collecting "Vandalf" (our grey campervan) from the garage after a wee upgrade, I decided to sneak in a wee bit of research reading... and a cheeky visit to Chesters Hill Fort, near North Berwick!
What a place... and bloody freezing too! 😄🥶
The site was probably a Votadini tribal stronghold during the era of #Roman occupation. It is a typical iron age hill fort or 'oppidum' - consisting of several maze-like rings of ditches and troughs, each successively higher, surrounding and protecting a high plateau where the village would have stood.
The name "Chesters" derives from the Latin term "Castrum", meaning fortification.

P.S. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Archaeology forum - mods feel free to move it if it doesn't fit here :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

46194ba3a00ff215d6b82dad6fb6bb6c388af533.jpg

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful. Living in a concrete jungle, I find the verdant countryside breathtaking. We get to see a lot of sagebrush around here, however. LoL

(The sub forum  “Archaeological News: Britain and Roman-Britain” might be a better place for these posts, otherwise, it gets buried by other threads.)

Thanks, again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, guy said:

Absolutely beautiful. Living in a concrete jungle, I find the verdant countryside breathtaking. We get to see a lot of sagebrush around here, however. LoL

(The sub forum  “Archaeological News: Britain and Roman-Britain” might be a better place for these posts, otherwise, it gets buried by other threads.)

Thanks, again.

That's one of the big plusses of living in Scotland - apart from when you are in the two major cities, you are always with mountains and countryside close to hand 😃

Thanks for the tip - I'll post to the arch group for this kind of thing in future!