UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Italian Archeologists On Trail Of Ancient Warships

[An appropriate one considering the naval discussion happening on the forum :lol:]

Italian archaeologists believe they are on the verge of finding the ancient ships downed in the battle of the Aegates Islands more than 2,000 years ago thanks to modern technology and a police tip-off.

"This project has an enormous historical value, but perhaps more important is the relevance for archaeology," Sebastiano Tusa, Sicily's chief of marine culture, told Reuters on Friday...

From Reuters UK

I would definitely love to see what they can find and bring up. The story also reminds us of how much is not to be found anymore due to people like the guy who took the ram...

I also wonder how much there is to find? What comes to my mind is the fact that the Rostra (especially during the Republican period) was apparently lined with the beaks of defeated ships. What that infers to me is that unlike 'modern' warfare where the objective is to sink the enemies vessel, the ancients would first attempt to shear the oars off the enemy ship to make it easier to send marines aboard. The beaks & rams came into play if that objective could not be met... I think? :unsure: I mean even the warships carried an amount of valuable 'booty' that if you could keep it from ending up on the bottom wouldn't they?