UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Looking For Battle References

Hey all. I am looking for a site that has actual numbers for various campaigns. I am involved in the Rome Total Realism forum (Mod for Rome: Total War). I don't know if you guys are familiar with the game, its the game used for Decisive Battles on the history channel. Anyhow, the mod is all about realism, and I like to do reasearch before posting.

Recently there was a topic about unrealistic battles regarding casualties, but I can't find a site that has the various campaigns that the romans participated in that has numbers. I can find lots of sites with breakdowns on how the battle played out, but what I am looking for is:

A) Number of Troops involved for both sides

- Actual composition of the Armies involved would be awesome

B ) Casualties for both sides

There are a ton of factions (Nations) represented in the game. If anyone knows of any similar sites involving any other nation (example: Greek, Macedonia, Gaul, Germania, Selucids, Pontis, Bactria, Thrace, Smartians etc.) that would be awesome as well.

Thanks in advance

I read through the link you provided, and while there were figures, I was looking for a little more detail. The topic that sparked this research was battles another user had fighting Gaul. So any of the Campaigns in Gaul, Brition, and Germania would be great.

I was hoping there was a one stop shop somewhere that chronicals the various campaigns from a numbers standpoint. I am really just looking for a reference to call upon when these issues come up on the forums. In my search I have come across more overviews, backgrounds, or conclusions.

Thanks in advance.

Ahh, the main source on Gaul is Caesar, and his numbers are rather dubious (when provided) when we consider the reasons he wrote De Bello Gallico. Unfortunately, as great as 'The Gallic Wars' as a historical document, Caesar rarely provides detailed numbers regarding single individual engagements, and it has to be deduced based on rather limited mentions (in most cases).

There is some of that information available in the Gallic Wars section. If you want more detail than what is provided, you really need to read De Bello Gallico

Believe it or not, sometimes you can find better resource in print than on the web. This book is great and I've used it my whole life, lists every battle man has fought and gives numbers and details most of the time:

The Harper Encyclopedia of Military History: From 3500 B.C. to the Present

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...503210?v=glance

• 2 weeks later...

I really appriciate the reccomendation. I picked up this book from the Library a few days ago and have been pouring over it ever since. This has provided me with a lot of the information I was looking for. There are some additional details that maybe you guys would know.

1. From what I understand Alexander used his Heavy calvary to punch through the enemy and create gaps that his infantry could exploit. Alexander wasn't the only general to use his calvary this way. Correct me if I am wrong, but a common tactic was to use heavy calvary to deploy them on the flanks, and use them to a) counter other calvary, and :huh: use them to punch through and roll up the enemy flank. Basically Heavy Calvary would charge into enemy infantry formations in an attempt to break through. Am I off here? Because the general consensus(on the forum I mentioned) is that they were only used to charge the exposed flanks or rear of an enemy infantry formation and that frontal charges were rare, and suicidal. My understanding is that they were used to attack the flanks of the enemy Army...not limited to the exposed flanks of individual enemy units. I know Calvary tactics evolved over time, but the period I am talking about is from 350 B.C to about 250 B.C.

2. Does anyone know if Spartan units were ever involved in direct combat with Roman troops? Once Rome took control, did any notible units get raised from Sparta before 1. A.D?

3. In the book that was recommended, there are a number of references to minor conflicts; Romans vs Phalangite centered armies that the Romans lost. These normally were before large pitched battles in which the Romans were victorious. Is there any specific examples that you can think of that a Roman force of atleast the strength of a Legion, was beaten by a Phalanx centered army?

Thanks again for the recommended book, I am having a blast going through it.