UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Something I Would Like To Share,

Zeke

In the second Century of the Christian Era, the empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the Earth and the most civilized portion of mankind. The frontiers of that extensive monarchy were guarded by ancient renown and displined valour. The gentle, but powerful influence of laws and manners had gradually cemented the union of the provinces. The peaceful inhabitants enjoyed and abused the advantages of wealth and luxury. The image of free constitution was preserved with decent reverence. The Roman appearded to possess the sovereign authority and devolved on the emperors all the executive powers o f goverment. Duuring a happy period of more then fourscore years, the public administration was conducted by the virtue and abilities of Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, and the two Antonines. It is the design of this, and of the two succeeding chapters, to describe the properous condition of their empire, and afterwards, from the death of Marcus Aurelius, to deduce the most important circumstances ots it decline and fall; a revolution which will ever be remembered, and it still felt by the nations of the Earth.

Introduction of Decline and fall of the Roman Empire by Sir Edward Gibbon.....It makes me tear, I just love the way he fits the words so beautifuly.....does anyone else have any good quotes from Gibbon's masterpiece???

Your favorite quote or pargrah from the books, I have several others but this seemed to be the most appropirate.

Zeke

I don't know if it's an exact quote, but to paraphrase Gibbons off the top of my head on religion in the roman empire:

.......All the various beliefs which prevailed in the Roman world were considered by the people as equally true, by the philosopher as equally false, and by the magistrate as equally useful. ....

I thought that was a pithy and highly accurate summary of ancient religion. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that first paragraph of Decline and Fall is also one of my lifelong favorites. But, as I am sure you have already discovered, Gibbon also had a sense of humor and irony that can make one burst into laughter as well. I don't have the exact quote but, for me, one of the most memorable examples of this (in Decline and Fall) was penned as he described the trial and removal of one of the more corrupt (pre-Hildebrandian) Popes: "And so the Vicar of Christ was finally dethroned and convicted of only incest, buggery, rape and murder."

If you ever come accross the exact quote please send it on.