UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gallienus reassessed

guy

C35928EF-AD7A-44A0-9A7C-92ADB3AA3B99.gif.788ec680f218cf8cfbba690e3a3382e9.gif

Below is an excellent video on the Third Century Crisis Emperor Gallienus. His 15-year reign is now being reassessed by historians:

I'm a bit less impressed. Gallienus reacts, not proacts. Granted, he was a better manager than some Caesars with some bright ideas about politics, but his career was about sticking fingers in the dam. He seems so obsessed with the immediate situation that he ignores long term planning. Perhaps not entirely his own fault, the era was turbulent, and I do note his marriage to the barbarian woman, but a lot of misplaced effort.

3 hours ago, caldrail said:

I do note his marriage to the barbarian woman, ….

His wife, Cornelia Salonina, was thought by many to be of Greek origin from Bithynia:

289806C2-8C9A-4CFD-9CEC-41A9DF7CE1F5.gif.45724437740b8d04c51bcf3ffcf1f976.gif

2153A5CD-5AF0-4923-9F03-7B3D43C4B617.thumb.jpeg.9cf3f020151fa2f553ed849e6adfb8c2.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelia_Salonina

Edited by guy

7 hours ago, caldrail said:

As the video tells us, Gallienus had two wives, Cornelia and the barbarian lady. Cornelia doesn't appear to made a protest.

I had to give the video a second listen. You are correct that Pipa (or Pipara), the daughter of the Marcomanni King Attalus, is referred to as his “wife.” I am skeptical, however, that she was officially designated as a second “wife” since that would have further alienated him from the Roman Senate. She was probably a recognized mistress, instead. 

I wonder whether Cornelia had completely resigned herself to this barbarian mistress or did she play some role in Gallienus’ mysterious death LoL? 🤣

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipara#:~:text=Pipara or Pipa (3rd century,as a tool of appeasement.

Edited by guy