UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Pantheon and the Pentocost

IMG_9663.gif.3bf55779ca2ce6fbf823633b9ca647a3.gif

The Pantheon, a former Roman Pagan temple, is now used to celebrate the Christian Pentecost, which commemorates the decent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles and followers of Jesus Christ in Jerusalem (Acts 2:1-31). This is celebrated 50 days after Easter (May 28th. 2023). The red rose petals represent Christ’s descent into heaven.

Firefighters fearlessly climb the 43-meter high dome of the Pantheon. They assemble this time not to extinguish but to light the Pantheon with the fire of 24 kg of the rose petals. The faithful stand below as they fall, evoking the descent of the Holy Spirit.

IMG_9654.thumb.png.7b9d27a3e8b6484d5d00affe4ebd6413.png

IMG_9656.thumb.png.e26bd84042e585a186c017b2dffe52bd.png

IMG_9664.thumb.png.095404b9aa47f6b76d8a30db10c70941.png

Edited by guy

I've mentioned this before, but don't miss the chance to try rose petal gelato or better yet sorbetto in Italy. I usually have visited in May, so maybe they mainly offer it this month. Walk around the right hand side of Pantheon and continue past it's rear almost a block. I think it shows up in google maps. Their gelato seems less flavorful than others in neighborhood, so also look for rose elsewhere. In Cefalu Sicily I had rose petal gelato that just launched my tastebuds into orbit. It was on the main square with twin towers:

Edited by caesar novus