UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

history student here, and overall huge admirer of Rome

Hi,

My name is Mehdi Saada, with a degree in history (licence, 3 years in France, dunno how that translates in anglo countries !), and I am a huge admirer of Rome, but more in the sense that I it relates more to the Western world of today in many ways than other civilizations until, say, the late Middle Age, yet staying distant enough to wonder about ourselves. A sort of distorted mirror.
And the fact it extends for a good millennium with significant historical records (much more than we have for any other place over such duration...) regarding economy and culture/ethics.
What I appreciate the most of issues of (sexual/matrimonial) morality, economics, religion and politics.

See ya 😄

• 1 month later...

It cannot be denied that our current westernised world inherited much from Rome, but don't concentrate on the similarities. Rome was a very different beast to modern democracies, though sometimes you have to wonder, and understanding those differences is very important to see Rome in the context of its own time instead of a modern world in togas. Great that you're interested in Roman history.