UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Underwater excavation of Roman cargo ship

guy

IMG_0439.gif.bfb5df8730008936ddba04108ccc1fcb.gif

A Roman cargo ship from the second century AD his currently undergoing further research. It contained exclusively glass and was found off the coast of France at a depth of 350 meters (about 1100 feet).

IMG_0438.thumb.png.8f87aa4135aa8e4ef3c5b9e9bd5fd07e.png

Preliminary results of the research campaign:

The first campaign of the "Italian-French mission for the study of the deep Capo Corso 2 wreck" took place from 1 to 8 July 2023.

This wreck, preliminary dated between the end of the 1st and the beginning of the 2nd century AD, is located at a depth of about 350 meters in the stretch of sea between Capo Corso (Corsica-France) and the Island of Capraia (Italy).

This is the second known case to date in the Mediterranean Sea, of a shipwreck of a Roman ship with a cargo composed almost exclusively of glass, transported both in its raw state, in several tons of blocks of various sizes, and worked, in the form of thousands of blown glass tableware artefacts.

IMG_0437.thumb.png.8a646e03afd8ce6f36f221a4a8a2ceec.png

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2023/07/archaeologists-recover-ornate-glassware-from-roman-shipwreck/148062?amp=1

https://www.patrimoniosubacqueo.it/capo-corso-2-un-relitto-romano-carico-di-vetro-a-350-m/

IMG_0451.jpeg.fd5f2cf92b29ce908592f684c8369aaf.jpeg

Edited by guy

Just a reminder that slight glass asymmetries don't come from time and pressure, but are original. A glass museum expert told me that, and also why centuries old windows that are much thicker near the bottom were installed that way.

BTW I am looking for a brief paragraph on why recreational divers in the med and red sea shouldn't disturb found ancient objects like amphora. I could write pages about how simply their position tells a story, but need it concentrated for those with short attention spans and skeptical but well meaning. I guess it is off Egypt where this activity is blatant, yet there are Roman activities to be discovered.