UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Wonderful Roman baths in Turkey to be open to tourists

guy

IMG_0573.gif.611ba6e63f54e7d93241982f16296611.gif

After many years of renovation, the Roman baths in Sarikaya, Central Turkey will be finally opened to the public. It is thought to be first constructed in the second century AD. Excavations began in 2014. The thermal mineral springs water reach a temperature of 50C (122F).

IMG_0574.thumb.jpeg.dd289d7998778cbf9aee07194474427c.jpeg

https://www.bta.bg/en/news/balkans/500226-2000-year-old-roman-bath-in-central-turkiye-opens-for-tourists-on-august-15

https://www.thearchaeologist.org/blog/the-roman-basilica-therma-in-yozgat-maybe-the-oldest-thermal-treatment-in-the-world?format=amp

IMG_0572.thumb.jpeg.737914ac99b1bb53f1f80e347a561886.jpeg

Edited by guy

The fate of the thermal water, which is estimated to have disappeared in recent years due to the dry season and geological reasons in Yozgat, has been a matter of curiosity in the district. 

That dryout may explain why the only video for this place seems to be 2 to 8 years old. The interior of Turkey is not somewhere I would go lightly, as I already used up my 9 lives in fringes of Africa, Asia, and S. America. Transport tends to be by long busrides with language problems. Travelers gush about the friendly reception, but there are safety reasons for this (dated) chart showing dropoff of European tourists (leaving mostly Russians at the time):

10270.jpeg

I yearn to visit various coastal spots like Ephesus, and had mainly thought about Pamukkale pools below for the interior. But Sankaya baths are a long way from there. I suppose you could combine the Baths with visit of the Cappadocia region which is an (inconvenient - see bottom) tourist magnet for reasons I don't really get.

main-qimg-8277cad84c4990db9192e0518f0f4a

21-Things-Nobody-Tells-You-About-Visitin