UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Humans arrived in America 7000 years earlier than thought

guy

IMG_1176.jpeg.85518304e884c1b68c5c84b1aaa8abd8.jpeg

Radiocarbon dating in 2021 of grass seeds found in sediment layers above and below footprints have challenged notions of prehistoric dating: Humans arrived in America 7000 years earlier than expected.

IMG_1177.thumb.jpeg.d4cf00876433910ccdbfcb8599e18d51.jpeg

The 20th century experts thought the appearance of humans had coincided with the formation of an ice-free corridor between two immense ice sheets straddling what's now Canada and the northern US. According to this idea, the corridor, caused by melting at the end of the last Ice Age, allowed humans to trek from Alaska into the heart of North America.

Gradually, this orthodoxy crumbled. In recent decades, dates for the earliest evidence of people have crept back from 14,000 years ago to 16,000 years ago. This is still consistent with humans only reaching the Americas as the last Ice Age was ending.

Dated fossil footprints uncovered in New Mexico to around 23,000 years ago—the height of the last Ice Age. They were made by a group of people passing by an ancient lake near what's now White Sands. The discovery added 7,000 years to the record of humans on the continent, rewriting American prehistory.

https://phys.org/news/2023-10-humans-america-years-earlier-thought.html

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abg7586

Edited by guy

10 hours ago, guy said:

around 23,000 years ago—the height of the last Ice Age

Yeah, I think I posted much earlier about not needing land bridges when you have ice bridges along with cultures adapted to life on the water/ice boundary hunting seals with kayaks etc. I heard a lecture on that in early 1990s and had the further thought that the southern Pacific may have had a ice bridge as well. I think there has been evidence of super early northward migration in S. America.

I reject the stale narratives like Canada's "first nations" where a homogeneous group migrates during a thaw window and the nasty westerners disrupt paradise. There had to be endless incoming waves and warfare, seen not only in the archeology but the accounts of shipwrecked Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca who walked from Florida to southern Mexico among pre-contact constantly warring tribes.

Edited by caesar novus