UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Dendrochronology dates 15th century ship

guy

IMG_1534.gif.180026d38b1baf677da553c24077e79e.gif

Dendrochronology, the dating of wood rings, has been discussed in a previous thread (see below). Traditional dendrochronology has used tree rings for dating. Today wood structures can be dated with oxygen isotope or stable isotope dendrochronology.

IMG_1533.thumb.jpeg.1f00785b711e981dae95974259f6627c.jpeg

A 15th Century ship wine-trading vessel was discovered in Newport’s River Usk in 2002. Now researchers have found timbers from the hull were made from oak trees felled in the winter of 1457-1458.

After many years of drying, the pieces of the ship are being reassembled to be put on display.

IMG_1536.thumb.jpeg.71b2aa77331bff994d113dca0f55f246.jpeg

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-67302907

Edited by guy

It's been decades since I took classes in dating artifacts, but as I understand it the dendrochronology approaches (new and old) are limited to finding matches between artifacts of known date vs found artifacts. You often may have no continuous map of the seasonal variations to piece together for a given locality.

In contrast approaches like radiocarbon dating (new and old) doesn't rely on seasons and continuity, but of course has much less precision.

44 minutes ago, caesar novus said:

In contrast approaches like radiocarbon dating (new and old) doesn't rely on seasons and continuity, but of course has much less precision.

Thanks for reading my post. Here’s an old post (from 2008) describing the dating methods and their use: