UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Publius Quintilius Varus: Re-evaluation

IMG_1769.gif.1d13864f849c4e474e0f368a8d863429.gif

We have had several previous posts on the Teutoburg disaster. Here is an excellent article by Professor Jo Ball that reassesses Publius Quinctilius Varus who commanded the doomed Romans in AD 9. He was possibly not the incompetent general as previously believed.

Dr Ball contends that Varus, in fact, “was an experienced commander and governor who had served irregular wars and managed complex diplomatic situations, responding effectively to rebellions when called upon.”

https://antigonejournal.com/2023/11/varus-teutoburg-disaster/

Edited by guy

She can say whatever she wants. Varus believed what Aminius told him and dismissed the warnings of Segestes, then led his troops into a very long defile and ambush. Unlucky about the storm but his troops were going to be slaughtered, and since Varus decided to commit suicide rather than attempt a rally and breakout, it's hard to see him as a competent commander. Experienced, yes, but a poor judge of character and actually a little self-deluded about the value of Roman law.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 2:18 PM, Decimus Gordianus Magnus said:

I got to visit the site of Teutoborg in 1997.  At that time I knew very little about the Romans.  I wish I could revisit now.

I wonder how developed for tourism the battlefield site could be since it was only recently that the location was determined (Kalkriese). Plus, the battle extended over a 15 mile corridor.