UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Stolen marble of AD 62 Pompeian earthquake found in Belgium

guy

IMG_2068.thumb.png.bf9abe4d49513cb2720796c3d180f122.png

Before the fatal  volcanic eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79, a devastating earthquake (of 5-6 magnitude) hit Pompeii in AD 62. A stolen marble relief depicting this earlier event has been found in a wall of a Belgium home.

https://arkeonews.net/2000-year-old-genuine-pompeii-marble-relief-installed-in-a-wall-lining-the-staircase-leading-down-to-the-basement-in-a-belgium-home/

IMG_2069.gif.b31f3c8e3fa9f97220267d6f8d12c86d.gif

An alter at the House of Lucius Caecilius lucundus at Pompeii depicts this earlier earthquake of AD 62.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AD_62_Pompeii_earthquake

Edited by guy

I thought I would pass on some Roman smuggling info from TV series. They aren't worth a separate topic and I will only mention once since I have stopped watching these 7 or so series.

There are actually 2 series covering Spain, which seems to be inundated by South American drug traffickers. It's kind of interesting how their law enforcers seem to be small and ageing vs the violators who may be large and aggressive. Anyway the Roman connection is that their coast guard checks underwater wrecks about once a month with divers to see if looting takes place. Expensive operation which might attract notice from bad actors.

There are series for just about every country in South America which has interesting no-nonsense enforcement styles, but a Roman connection appeared in the US based one. They found huge real mosaics in storage along with tons of loose ancient tile which they were using to "enhance" the mosaics. We saw a familiar Roman scholar from Yale or whatever value these for a jillion dollars. The perpetrator was dead and I forget the result, but they may have been waiting to see what country to return it to. The US style is depicted as a bit more clumsy and bureaucratic than other countries, and super eager to repatriate things unasked with skimpy evidence.