UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Derivation of Triumph?

guidoLaMoto

If you look up the derivation of the word "triumph," you get a series of similar words in the romance languages, eventually referring back to the Latin "triumphus," itself derived supposedly from the Greek "thriambos" (ode to Dionysius). https://www.etymonline.com/word/triumph

But once again, from The Dept of Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar, isn't it more likely that a tri-umph is just the ancient form of "Three Cheers?"

We see the same thing with the word Tribunus-- isn't it really just the compounding of the word tribus (tribe or clan) + unus (one)-- the head guy of the clan who casts the single vote of the tribe in the elections-- the forerunner of the American Electoral College?

We often joke about impossibly long German compound words, but that's really how compound Latin words are formed too. Eg- cedo + ad --> accedo or sequor + pro --> prosequor etc etc

Latin words were used in a literal context. This helps to 'reverse engineer' Roman culture, but there are bound to be meanings that change over time as there are in English.

That said, I'm fascinated by your derivations and whilst I may not agree yet, please carry on looking into this, I'm sure you won't get a universal answer but you will eventually find some insight,