UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fall Of Rome

bovismaximus

I have read extensively the last three months about the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Specifcally the classic by Edward Gibbon 'The Delcine an Fall of the roman Empire"

Praise of Constantine by Eusebius

The New Advent web posted The Life of Constantine by Eusebius, and the new translation ( and I would say superior work with commentary) The Life of Constantine (Clarendon Ancient History Series) Stuart hall Translation.

Michael Grant's "Constantine",

The History of the English Speaking Peoples Vol 1, Winston Churchill.

Caesar Against the Celts (Paperback) by Ramon L. Jimenez

I would have to say most definitely that Christianity was not the cause of the fall of the Roman Empire. It did perhaps accelerate the pace of decline and highlight the cracks in the Empire's infrastructure and social fabric.

The three most important causes of the Fall of the Western Roman Empire were

1. Excessivve Taxation

2. Continuous Wars with the Persians while trying to defend against the Barbarian Tribes.

3. An Empire that bulit itself relying on Slavery which could no longer be justifited as an economic model under Christianity.

In fact the ground work for a Fuedal Society was already laid before Constantine came to power.

I would encourage all to read the Stuart hall translation of Eusebiius. Eusebius was a natural, a very potent author. He offers up many facts despite writing for the purpose of proprganda. New Advent

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic