UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Would Happen?

What would happen if Julius had left more leigions to pacify Gaul when he left for Britain  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What would happen if Julius had left more leigions to pacify Gaul when he left for Britain

• Control all of Briton
    • No rebellion
    • Everything would have happened normally

Another Hypothetical question? What would happen if Julius had left more leigions to pacify Gaul when he left for Britain?

And I don't think he had any real intention of pacifying all of Britain at the time. The fact that he got there and took a few hostages and killed a few natives was enough at the time. Many Romans didn't even believe the island exsisted before Caesar. A lot of authors I've read lately have compared Caesars incursions into Britain to the moon landings, the fame and renoun building benefits were what Caesar was going for.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also thought that Caesar's Invasion of Britain was a publicity stunt, He probably invaded in order to enhance his reputation and to explore the outskirts of the island to see if it had any resources that the Romans might need in future.

I believe another reason he did it was in order to punish some Britonnic tribes who had assisted the Gauls, according to Rome at War (Osprey - Histories Special 6 - Caesar's Gallic Wars) the invasion had political benefits:

Caesar Became a Hero and a public thanksgiving of 20 days was decreed in Rome, very satisfactorily trumping any popularity Pompey and Crassus had been able to achieve in the Capital.