UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Legion: Life in the Roman Army

I went to the #LegionExhibition in London last week. As the name suggests, the exhibition is very much focused on the Roman military, and specifically during the Principate (spanning 27 BC - AD 284).
There were some terrific artefacts on show - my favourite being the crocodile armour! But the smartest thing about the exhibition, in my opinion, was how they threaded it all together using the career records of an Egyptian legionary named Claudius Terentianus.
A papyrus archive found at Karanis, Egypt, contained several letters Claudius had written and sent home to his family. They reveal how he tried and failed to join the legions in AD 110, thanks to a lack of satisfactory references.
So, he instead joined the marines - a less prestigious and lucrative career path. His duties would have included building roads and guarding the grain fleet harbours as well as long and hazardous sea voyages.
The letters tell of very practical and human things - his struggles to fit in with his marine colleagues, his need for new shoes and socks, and of his injuries sustained when fighting to supress a revolt. He was deployed in the east for a time, likely in Emperor Trajan's war against Rome's rival superpower, Parthia. Having proved himself he finally achieved his goal and was permitted to join the legions!

Here's a couple of photos (of Augustus, and of the Dura Europos shield!)

PXL_20240316_151816952.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240316_160005813.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:05 AM, Gordopolis said:

I went to the #LegionExhibition in London last week. As the name suggests, the exhibition is very much focused on the Roman military, and specifically during the Principate (spanning 27 BC - AD 284).
There were some terrific artefacts on show - my favourite being the crocodile armour! But the smartest thing about the exhibition, in my opinion, was how they threaded it all together using the career records of an Egyptian legionary named Claudius Terentianus.

Gordon: Thanks for the review. I had written about the exhibit a couple of months ago (see post below) but I had no firsthand perspective. Your description makes the exhibit sound better than I had imagined. Thank you, again.

Edited by guy