UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Viggen

Anyone using skype here?

In case you never heard of it (cant imagine it actually) it is a software that lets you make free phone calls via members world wide. Sound quality is better then with a regular phone, you can download skype here ---> Skype.com

regards

viggen

It's certainly a strange investment for ebay.  The market doesn't seem to be so sure about it either.  Talk about a complete different direction from their core business.

14650[/snapback]

I think this line from the article sums it up (for good or bad reasons):

"Nearly half of Skype's users live in Europe, a quarter are in Asia, and an eighth are in North America, providing eBay with a large audience as it seeks to expand outside of its core North American market. "

As communications systems grow and merge, fewer and fewer entities will be in control of it. It has become an elite oligarchy already, the net is no different or immune compared to the rest of the business. Positioning for a buyout is what I think e-bay is doing.

Hurry up and enjoy Skype! It'll be gone within three years, IMHO.

I have it on my laptop, but it'll cost me money to call someone's phone using it, given the room below me let's me use thier wireless signal for free (what a bunch of great guys), I can only call people already signed up, and I don't know anybody signed up for it.... so it's just an anoyance I have to turn off everytime I turn on the computer. Kazaa has it for free downloading.

• 2 weeks later...
I must say i've never heard of it. It musn't be very popular or indeed existent over here in Australia

Wow, there are already 56 million users worldwide, and growing currently by 170.000 users a day..

it is THe cheapest way to phone someone else! :D

btw the new version of skype 1.4 just came out,

the killer application is "call forwarding" you can now forward calls to skype to your mobile or landline, :(

http://www.skype.com/

cheers

viggen

My personal opinion... Ebay is going to regret this. As China puts the clamps down on the technology in order to save their own telephony product profits and the US FCC eventually hammers it on various rules here, Ebay is going to be left holding onto a very expensive technology that isn't usable in two huge markets.