UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Did The Romans Get To China

Germanicus

I was reading an old (1970) paperback book about the Romans the other day, and there was mention of an expedition leaving Rome during Marcus Aurelius' reign for China. The book mentions that it was successfull, and that there are Chinese records from the time that verify the fact. It did not list these references though or say exactly what they were. Has anyone heard this before ? Does anyone know of references to Rome or Romans in historical Chinese documents ?

I was reading an old (1970) paperback book about the Romans the other day, and there was mention of an expedition leaving Rome during Marcus Aurelius' reign for China. The book mentions that it was successfull, and that there are Chinese records from the time that verify the fact. It did not list these references though or say exactly what they were. Has anyone heard this before ? Does anyone know of references to Rome or Romans in historical Chinese documents ?

15165[/snapback]

I don't know of any such references, but I do know that some Roman coins made it to China as well as the Nestorian form of Christianity. My guess is that both were brought to China by Persian merchants, but I also assume that a handful of Romans probably reached China from time to time.

There is the story of Crassus' Carrhae survivors eventually finding their way to China...

Roman descendents in Gansu

There are also stories of Chinese expeditions sent to Rome that were mischeviously diverted by Persians and other eastern kingdoms. Both sides were seemingly well aware that a mysterious powerful nation existed on opposite sides of Eurasian land mass, but true contact was quite limited. Most trade seems to have taken place between silk road middlemen.

15165[/snapback]

The romans who went to China in 166 AD were most probably syrian traders.

The chinese archives of that time mentioned that "An-toun, king of Ta-t'sin sent a

mission which brought as gifts from Jihnan boarder (Annam) ivory, rhinoceros horns and shells (?)".

J-N Robert in his book "de Rome

The romans who went to China in 166 AD were most probably syrian traders.

The chinese archives of that time mentioned that "An-toun, king of Ta-t'sin sent a

mission which brought as gifts from Jihnan boarder (Annam) ivory, rhinoceros horns and shells (?)".

J-N Robert in his book "de Rome

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kestrel lee

According to Chinese history document, a group of Roman resided in Li qian of Gan Su Province, China. These Romans were the soldiers surrendered to Chan Yue of Mongolians, and then captured by Chinese Han millitary in 53 BC.

Majority of Li Qian people looked like Chinese. But a few of them still have light hair, blue eyes, and white skins and bone features of cocaciean. in 2003, 99 cocacian tomes were discovered in Li Qian. Anthropologist said most of them were cocacians.

Here is the web address you can see some of these local Li Qian residents. They look quite different from Chinese.

http://aladding.com/newsDetail.cfm?postid=300028

Kestrel Lee

It just struck me that whether the story is true or not, this would make a great movie epic.

A grizzled old western looking man in ancient Chinese dress begins to tell the story....mmmm....good idea Virgil.