UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Atia

frankieb9

She married Lucius Marcius Philippus in 59 BC and remained so until her death, (a fact conveniently left out of the HBO show). He was a man of consular rank and deep rooted senatorial tradition but was very much a Caesarian supporter. Atia died in late summer of the year following Caesar's death, 43 BC (Octavian was just about 20), and unfortunately not much else is known. We do know that both she and Philippus initially opposed Octavian 'collecting his inheritance' at Caesar's death, but this did not cause a rift. Philippus was later rewarded for his loyalty to Octavian and seems to have truly been a surrogate father. (Octavian's own father died when he was young... 4 if I remember correctly)

There really are very few mentions of Atia in the historical record... there are brief passages in Suetonius, Nicolaus of Damascus and Dio Cassius, but none go into any great detail.

She married Lucius Marcius Philippus in 59 BC and remained so until her death, (a fact conveniently left out of the HBO show). He was a man of consular rank and deep rooted senatorial tradition but was very much a Caesarian supporter. Atia died in late summer of the year following Caesar's death, 43 BC (Octavian was just about 20), and unfortunately not much else is known. We do know that both she and Philippus initially opposed Octavian 'collecting his inheritance' at Caesar's death, but this did not cause a rift. Philippus was later rewarded for his loyalty to Octavian and seems to have truly been a surrogate father. (Octavian's own father died when he was young... 4 if I remember correctly)

There really are very few mentions of Atia in the historical record... there are brief passages in Suetonius, Nicolaus of Damascus and Dio Cassius, but none go into any great detail.

Thank you---

What about Octavian's other sister named Octavia? Not the daughter of Attia, but the older half-sister by his biological father's first wife.

I read somewhere that her son shared the consular position with Octavian sometime around 29 BC, but I can't find anything on the elder Octavia.

What about Octavian's other sister named Octavia? Not the daughter of Attia, but the older half-sister by his biological father's first wife.

I read somewhere that her son shared the consular position with Octavian sometime around 29 BC, but I can't find anything on the elder Octavia.

That is an interesting question.. I certainly can't recall ever reading much about her. If there is anything it will certainly be a bit of buried text. I don't recall Suetonius even mentioning her, but I'm going to check him as well as the other usual suspects.

• 2 months later...
Guest zebedidi
I just checked my various sources and can't find a mention of the other Octavia. PP is right, it must be buried somewhere in the text.

Gaius Octavius did have another daughter also called Octavia by his first wife Ancharia. She's mentioned by Suetonius and Plutarch but not much more is known about her.

Edited by zebedidi