UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hannibal Movie

barca

If there were to be a recently made movie on Hannibal, who would be the best actors for the following characters?

Hannibal

Scipio Africanus

My choices would of course be Russell Crowe (Gladiator) and Clyve Owen (King Arthur). Just who would play whom would be a tough call. Any ideas?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were to be a recently made movie on Hannibal, who would be the best actors for the following characters?

Hannibal

Scipio Africanus

My choices would of course be Russell Crowe (Gladiator) and Clyve Owen (King Arthur). Just who would play whom would be a tough call. Any ideas?

All I know is that a film was made starring Victor Mature in the 50's. I've never seen it it, nor Richard Burton's Alexander the Great. Also from the 50's. They are two that I have somehow missed in my half century on the planet. Dunno how, but...

I believe that there are two Hannibal movies in the works... one starring Vin Diesel and one starring Denzel Washington.

While Vin Diesel would probably look the part more than Denzel, I'm sure the second will provide a much more pleasing performance. I just get the impression based on casting that it will be a revisionist thing trying to highlight Hannibal as a great black African hero.

As long as its not too over the top with that angle I can get past it and enjoy it, since Washington is a hell of a fine actor. I like Vin Diesel for what he is, an ass-kicking action guy, but I can't see him giving the dramatic role of Hannibal the justice it would likely deserve. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I would tend to agree with PP on his observations. I've seen Vin Diesel in several movies and he's no 'actor'.

That's what I like about Arnold. No pretensions to being an actor, just an action machine. I think I would very much like to see Denzel in the role of Hannibal, as he's a great general, which implies that he is a great thinker, a strategist and one who commands the respect of everyone he meets through the force of his personality, which was his intellect and his ability to lead. I could be wrong but I don't see Vin pulling it off unless with his brand of leadership, he makes his point all the time with his fists.

I could see that kind of leadership too but I don't think it would be convincing enough, at least not enough to beat a highly organized force like the Romans. Russel Crowe, Denzel Washington are actors. Vin Diesel is an action hero and will not be able to pull this off. It was like Colin Farrell attempting to play Alexander. That was a miserable performance and only Val Kilmer acted well, as Phillip. I don't know what Oliver Stone was trying to do but he should stick to war movies or politically charged films and not attempt to recreate history. A guy like Ridley Scott struggled and just pulled it off with Gladiator as he had superior acting performances across the board. I think the late Oliver Reed was really great and probably carried the movie on his broad shoulders. Some of the best scenes in Gladiator are enhanced by the presence of a great actor.

Well, I will certainly see the movie with Diesel in it (don't get me wrong). However, will I watch this several times? The jury is out on that one and I hope Diesel proves me wrong.

Interesting. I was wondering what was happening to that Vin Deisel Hannibal project. I can add that I know an actor who is leaving in November to go on location to be in a remake of THE THREE HUNDRED SPARTANS.

It was a movie starring Richard Egan made in the 1960s about Leonidas and the Spartan last stand at Thermopylae.

Guest Wolf Brother

I was doing a bit of research on a script idea for a new movie about the history of Hannibal, when I came across this posting and had to enter my thoughts. I was sure that someone SHOULD be making a big budget movie about Hannibal. I'll still proceed with my screenplay...just in case.

Here are my thoughts on who should play the central characters. Hannibal: Michael Clark-Duncan, Scipio Africanus: Brad Pit or Russell Crow, Hamilcar Barca (Hannibal's father) James Earl Jones or Bill Cosby (?yeah sounds funny huh!), Publius Cornelius Scipio (Scipio's father) George Clooney, and Hasdrubal (Hannibal's brother-inlaw/mentor) Jamie Fox. An all star cast that is ethically correct.

Yep. If you check the Internet Movie Database, IMDB.com, which is a movie industry data site, it's slated for release in 2006. Here is the info from the site:

Hannibal (2006)

Directed by Vin Diesel

Writing credits David Franzoni Ross Leckie (novel)

Genre: Adventure / Drama (more)

Plot Outline: Vin Diesel stars as the Carthaginian general who led an elephant-riding battalion across the Alps to attack Rome in the 3rd Century B.C.

Status Updated: 3 October 2003

Note: Since this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change; some data could be removed completely.

Credited cast:

Vin Diesel .... Hannibal Barca

rest of cast listed alphabetically:

Yorick van Wageningen

Language: English

Color: Color

Actually, if we work on the idea that the Carthage, as a former colony of Phoenicia had pronounced Semetic origins, maybe Hannibal could be played by Larry David? Hasdrubal could be Gary Shandling and Mago Tony Schaloub? Joe Pesci for Scipio Africanis and Chris Rock for Massinissa? Somebody Call My Agent! I'm on to something!

Actually, if we work on the idea that the Carthage, as a former colony of Phoenicia had pronounced Semetic origins, maybe Hannibal could be played by Larry David? Hasdrubal could be Gary Shandling and Mago Tony Schaloub? Joe Pesci for Scipio Africanis and Chris Rock for Massinissa? Somebody Call My Agent! I'm on to something!

Well now you're just being silly... everyone knows that Romans should always be played by Brits in the movies :rolleyes:

Wow, I'd look forward to seeing it if I knew that Vin Diseal wasn't going to take the starring role. Hannibal Barca deserves far more credit than to be represented by a disgrace like him. Ugh, it actually disgusts me. I could be wrong and he may do a great job - I hope to hell he does - but from his past roles he just doesn't seem fitted to play as one of histories most celebrated men. From what I read they seem to have gotten it historicly inaccurate already, apparantly basing it on the invention that Hamilcar Barca was assassinated by Romans and that the movie if about Hannibal's vengeance upon them. WRONG.

I would however love to see a cinematic recreation of Cannae - that has potential to kick ass.

QUOTE(Plautus @ Oct 10 2005, 10:17 PM)

No offence but that sounds like some of the worst posible casting scenarios ever. Chris Rock as Massinissa? Thats a joke right?

Hey, I'm Plautus, the comedian. Thats what I do. And I'm still pissed I didn't get enough credit in the film version of A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to the Forum. Steven Sondheim must have read my plays Pseudolus and Miles Gloriousus. What a gip! If I wasn't dead I'd sue.

How about Woody Allen for Hannibal, Billy Joel for Scipio and Winton Marsalis for Masinissa? They can make a soundtrack of old jazz music.