UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hamilcar Barca

Historians Of The Roman Dark Ages

We all know Livy, Polybius, Cicero, Casesar, Suetonius, Tacictus etc - they chronicled the best known part of Roman history and it is because of them that this is so. However, the events through the third, 4th and fifth centuries are scantily documented in comparison. Asides from Aemelianus and Jordannes, who were the other contemporaries to whom we are indebted for glimpses into Roman history of this time? I would sincerely like to know what good first hand sources are available with regards to the era between 192 - 476AD, other than those I have mentioned.

Moving on to the 6th Century we have Procopius, but after this we have little. Other than Skylitzes can anyone offer me some great contemporary historians regarding the period 582 - 1453. I know thats a big period but any suggestions would be welcomed.

Ammianus Marcellinus Mid C4th

End of Cassius Dio

Zosimus + Eusebius for Christian perspective

Theoderot - Gothic I think

Libanius

Gregory Nazianzus

Also Julian's own writings are interesting - or good for a laugh, either way

John Chrysostum

For the later period I would recommend Gildas and Bede's efforts and also the great translation of the Anglo Saxon Chronicle, ed. D Whitelock for Britain.

Hope that helps a bit!

After reading these, if you're willing to delve into autobiography, I'd add Augustine of Hippo's Confessions or maybe The City of God. Both give tremendous insight into the psychology and daily life around the late 4th/early 5th century.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely agree with Virgil61 on this one - Augustine's Confessions are a great read! Massive, massive recommendation for that one!!

Also you want to lok at the lives of the later caesars which is by various sources some of it is highly fictional but it attempts to what Suetonius did for his twelve caesars for the rest of the motley crew...treat with caution however and the life of Aexander Severus is considered to be fiction