UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Celtic Nationalism

It's bad. Most people associate Celtics with ireland, and the rest of Great Brittain. But Galicia in Spain is VERY Celtic. Many countries had a Celtic past that they no longer remember or really care about. Like when the bagpipe is thoght of you think of Ireland, but experts say the babgpipe may have come from Celtic Spain.

It's bad. Most people associate Celtics with ireland, and the rest of Great Brittain. But Galicia in Spain is VERY Celtic. Many countries had a Celtic past that they no longer remember or really care about. Like when the bagpipe is thoght of you think of Ireland, but experts say the babgpipe may have come from Celtic Spain.

Uh so are we discussing about modern day Celtic nationalism or the past.

If so, then its good because either way, you are identifying your cultural roots which is good to know.

Ireland was independant from Rome but it wasnt from the Danes, take a look at this DNA survey,it appears the Welsh are the most Celtic of the British Isles.

from whom is the quote" the Celts have not founded a nation but have shaken many"? Id also add "nationalism is the seed bed of fascism" Cant remember who said that either. I also have to add "Industrialisation has saved us from rural idiocy", Marx (not my favourite person ) but a snide and acute observation of peasant and tribal societies.

Thank you Lacertus. Returning to Longbows remarks about the Danes I carry an anglicised Irish surname but my DNA is in the "Norse Dublin Viking" group. My surname is a clue as well as its origin can in one sense be "son of the champion or axe wielding barbarian".

I presume the Celts blood now would be mostly amongst the Welsh, Cornish and Bretons.

So do I get a job as a Varangian Guard in Byzantium on this pedigree?

Their first mention of the bagpipe in writing is contained in annals of the Cantabarian War, whether that means they came from there (Galicia) originally is of course open to debate.

When one considers the hair & clothing of Xinjiang mummies, one could argue that branches (or neighbors) of the Scythians (Massagetae, Cimmerians or Issedones) had 'Celtic cultural affinities' if one uses the modern Celtic stereotype to classify them...

I personally think that what we (well the orthodox understanding...) now consider 'Celtic cultural affinities' have Neolithic roots when the people of Europe and Eurasia were much more homogeneous; genetically & culturally.

Uh so are we discussing about modern day Celtic nationalism or the past.

If so, then its good because either way, you are identifying your cultural roots which is good to know.

Identifying your cultural roots is good, yes; but if there is confusion, misunderstanding & misrepresentation of those roots it can be a bad thing bad.

Look at the auxiliary horse archers of the Parthians (or indeed later Iranian nomads) and the resemblance in dress , stature and perhaps one might say demeanour of these men finds a strong echo in the more "westernised" celtic fringe of Brittania. Osprey series 175-Rome's Enemies (3) is food for thought .