UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Y Chromosomes Reveal Founding Father

About 1.5 million men in northern China and Mongolia may be descended from a single man, according to a study based on Y chromosome genetics. Historical records suggest that this man may be Giocangga, who lived in the mid-1500s and whose grandson founded the Qing dynasty, which ruled China from 1644 to 1912.

full article at Nature

Just because he founded a dynasty does not have to mean he had a ton of children who had tons of children themselves. Not only that but the fact that he was around 1500s makes me seriously wonder about all that! How does one line consistantly and preferably get bred when there are so many others around?

At any rate, the proof has to be actually showing that the Y gene really comes from Giocangga. If they cannot do that then it is all speculation. Even people who claim there are millions of decendants of Ghengis Khan are speculative because they cannot even remotely prove that it is his gene.

Considering the methods scientists use to get their funding, and the respect for ancestors of the Chinese, I cast considerable doubt on these supposed genetic relations.

I don't see whats so impossible about it. It fits in with evolution just as much as creation too. Ever looked at family tree ? You've got a couple at the top, and depending on offspring, more and more descedants as the generations roll on.

If that were true, I guess Egypt should be full of Ptolemies and Cleopatras as they kept marrying each other and producing offspring who continued this process. I think the only difference is that the siblings kept also killing each other, limiting the number of branches that could have been possible.

If one man and woman could do so much, is it a wonder that we have billions of Chinese (not to mention Indians).

Was Adam from Africa or China ? I guess we'll never know, right? Maybe he was from another planet called

Mars today. We are all probably Martians who fled the Red Planet when it lost all its water and emigrated to Earth. Our telescopes must have revealed the fierce dinosaurs and when they got killed off (lucky accident), we Martians must have planned for millions of years to send our last survivors to Earth.

He he... that would be some crackpot theory, right?

Was Adam from Africa or China ? I guess we'll never know, right? Maybe he was from another planet called

Mars today. We are all probably Martians who fled the Red Planet when it lost all its water and emigrated to Earth. Our telescopes must have revealed the fierce dinosaurs and when they got killed off (lucky accident), we Martians must have planned for millions of years to send our last survivors to Earth.

Hah, you murderous Martians can't fool me. I know damn well that you killed off our dinosaurs with some sort of evil 'death ray'. Damn Martians.

P.S. Silly Skarr, Adam was from Eden and Eve was from Venus. Or was it... Adam was from Mars and its just too damned hot on Venus for much of anything and I can understand people just wanting to get the heck out of there? I suppose all this madness would explain the need for Noah to to re-populate the earth from that fecal filled love boat of his. This is so confusing :)