UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Visions Of Rome

Skarr

I just discovered that this would be my 100th post in this Forum (it's amazing how they add up) and I would like to post by sharing one of my favorite sites / forums run by my good friend, Decimus, who is the moderator of that site.

Some of you may already be familiar with that site and for those who are not, scroll down below to explore.

This is a fairly new site but membership is expanding daily and it's free. There are not only artists who are members but Romanophiles and Grecophiles as there are sections in the Forum devoted to Rome as well as Greece.

The Gallery section is definitely worth a visit (kiddies - keep out, as you need to be over 18 to browse) as it has some really fantastic art created by various artists who post their work there.

The Citizens gallery section has some really spectacular art with a noteworthy mention to Kosv01's gallery.

His 'paintings' (although they are not paintings, they are worthy to be called as such) are truly amazing, especially his take on Alexander.

The Rome section has some great art with a fantastic vision of Pompeii's forum by Decimus, easily one of the best works I've seen in a long time. Also, the march of the legions across a countryside plain and the building of a gigantic arch with a distant view of Rome in the background are also stunning works that you must see.

The 18+ section also has stunning art, if nudity does not offend you. All in all, a great reason to visit and I would urge everyone to see this as well as participate by joining in the Forum there. We have a good group of people there and they are looking for new members to join in and contribute.

Last, I have a selfish reason as well to promote this since my book has been showcased in the first edition of the Acta Diurna published by Decimus. He is looking for contributors for his next edition and if you're interested, please join up and start contributing.

The" Forum of Pompeii "artwork is now my Desktop-after seeing the excellence of the work I spent a couple of hours going through my edition of "Pompeii past and present" to reminisce over my last visit.

I have to say the site is very good indeed.

The" Forum of Pompeii "artwork is now my Desktop-after seeing the excellence of the work I spent a couple of hours going through my edition of "Pompeii past and present" to reminisce over my last visit.

I have to say the site is very good indeed.

Yes, this is one of my favorite works and curiously, this is also my desktop. For all you people who visit the Ancient Rome section, go directly to Page 2. I think the 'visions of hell' section does not belong under this category and should probably be moved to a separate section on its own.

I hate the morbid view of the afterlife and all the demons etc. - a very pessimistic view of things. It's interesting but Dante is dated, in my opinion and we have had a surfeit of demon related films too. I'm just tired of seeing the same 'devil' like images again and again.

Page 2 has some truly stunning artwork though.

Ive sat in the Forum at Pompeii on quite a few ocassions and this imagining of it is so vital that I couldnt resist it, every time you visit this is the scene that is trying to come to your minds eye-"what did the everyday life look and smell like?" what wouldnt you give to go into a tavern and have a drink and bite to eat and hear some ordinary chat -did they grumble just like we do ? were the Proles as irritating? was the food stronger tasting?

I hope there are more of these images - Housesteads always puts me in a reverie-what did the soldiers think looking across to Caledonia? Thinking of hearth and the Lares in Umbria? and how wet Brittannia was (and still is)?