UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Legions: How Do They Get Their Names And Number

Here are some helpful resources:

http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/legions.htm

http://www.davros.org/romans/legions.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/legion.htm

http://www.roman-empire.net/army/leg-names.html

I would also recommend the Osprey book "Roman Legionary: 58 BC - AD 69" by Ross Cowan and Angus McBride. It has a list with origins and meaning of names, though within that time period.

Gemina refers to a legion created from two legions being combined (twins). Rapax is 'rapacious'; Fulminata is 'armed with lightning'; Ferrata is 'ironclad', etc. The numbers started at one, and then the next legion formed called two, and so on. However, various emperors or wannabee emperors would go back to number one (or another number) at some point just to confuse things. The numbers for the legions lost in AD 9 in Germany were never used afterwards I seem to remember.

Cheers,

Jim.

Gemina was quite unusual in the sense that one half was taken from mounted troops.

disgraced units could find their way back into favour sometimes-Legio III Augusta was "re-constituted" by Valerian in 253, it was formed around a forgotten and disgraced vexillation that had been on active service elsewhere when the Legion had beeen originally disgraced: the vexillation having been submerged within III Italica for perhaps 15 years.

The original disgrace of III Augusta was for supporting Maximinus

Numbers were assigned logically according the order in which they were recruited. Consular legions raised in a single Consuls term were ordered from I through however many were recruited. The confusion (repeating numbers) comes from the practice of starting over with each Consular period rather than just continuing the numbers. IE when Marius and recruited legions, his first was likely Legio I even though Q. Caecilius Metellus in Numidia and other Legates who were operating in Cisalpine Gaul probably already had a legio I from prior recruiting periods.

In the Republican period, legions were never intended to be a standing army, and the system worked largely without confusion because the 'numbers' came and went. Its in the imperial period, where legions were intended to stay intact without forseeable disbandment that things start to get confusing.

The late Republican legions of Caesar, Octavian/Pansa and Antonius are the first that carry over intact with legio numbers into the imperial period and eventually form up Augustus first 28 imperial legions.

These legions remained in service with their numbers for varying lengths of time:

1. Legio I Germanica (Augusta)

2. Legio II Augusta

3. Legio III Augusta

4. Legio III Cyrenaica

5. Legio III Gallica

6. Legio IV Macedonica

7. Legio IV Scythia

8. Legio V Alaudae

9. Legio V Macedonica

10. Legio VI Ferrata

11. Legio VI Victrix

12. Legio VII Claudia Pia Fidelis

13. Legio VIII Augusta

14. Legio IX Hispana

15. Legio X Fretensis

16. Legio X Gemina

17. Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis

18. Legio XII Fulminata

19. Legio XIII Gemina

20. Legio XIV Gemina

21. Legio XV Apollinaris

22. Legio XVI Gallica (later reconstituted as Flavia Firma)

23. Legio XVII

24. Legio XVIII

25. Legio XIX

26. Legio XX Valeria Victrix

27. Legio XXI Rapax

28. Legio XXII Deiotariana

You'll notice in this list that there are several duplicate numbers based simply on who recruited it. Later emperors sometimes started over (Nero recruited Legio I Italica in AD 66 rather than give it a number of continuation) whereas others filled in the blanks (Trajan recruited Legio XXX Ulpia Victrix and named it XXX because it was simply the 30th active legion at the time).

As for names, some were given at recruitment based on who recruited it (Legio XXII Deiotariana founded by the King of Galatia, Deiotarus), or its place of foundation or intended purpose (Gallica, Italica, Parthica etc.) or were honored for various deeds in battle or service. (Legio I Minervia was named for the goddess, then Pia Fidelis was later added to indicate its loyalty to Domitian in putting down the revolt of Saturninus. Legio II Traiana Fortis [Trajan's strong or brave legion] was so honored for its service in Dacia).. and so on and so on.

may I also add that latterly Legions performed as a kind of strategic reserve from which vexilliations were sent as flexible combat units