UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Romanization At A Glance

Ursus

• 1 year later...

The aborted colonisation of germania really ought to get a mention, and part of caesars intentions on his two landings in britain was to open trade and relations with friendly tribes rather than simply crush britain underfoot. He was softening britain up for a future annexation besides cutting off gaulish support and glory seeking.

Regarding Britain, this general summary is true - however, I believe York deserves a mention, as it was quite a large town, and an outpost of true Roman - ness in the North of the province. It was base to one of the three legions. Severus and Constantius died there, and Constantine spent time there.

Edited by Northern Neil

Regarding Britain. I have heard in the past that the territory comprising modern Wales was never "conquered" but rather needed constant legionary watch. How much truth is there to this? Are there many noted camps in the country?

Temporary Camps in Wales

Just answered my last question....

including one recorded in the prestigious position as Prefect of Egypt

If you are speaking of Tiberius Alexander: it has even been suggested and argued that he was made prefect of the camp not too long afterwards. Although he reached those levels, his actions showed just what the Romans expected of a Jew in order to accept them as one of theirs. His action against the Alexandrian Jews were brutal...

Edited by Divi Filius

Quick question: I'm looking for a good source which discusses Romanization. The Barbarians Week from the History Channel has my gears turning. Any takers?

"Experiencing Rome," edited by Huskinson has a section on Romanization in the chapter on Roman religion, pages 269-271.

Regarding Britain. I have heard in the past that the territory comprising modern Wales was never "conquered" but rather needed constant legionary watch

Actually Gnaeus Julius Agricola the governor of Britain crushed a revolt by the Ordovices in Wales around year 77. After that revolt i don't know of any major rebellions in Wales against Roman authority, so i don't believe wales needed any special watching.

"Experiencing Rome," edited by Huskinson has a section on Romanization in the chapter on Roman religion, pages 269-271.

Thanks, Ludovicus. Maybe the references contained within can help me further.

Regarding Britain. I have heard in the past that the territory comprising modern Wales was never "conquered" but rather needed constant legionary watch

Actually Gnaeus Julius Agricola the governor of Britain crushed a revolt by the Ordovices in Wales around year 77. After that revolt i don't know of any major rebellions in Wales against Roman authority, so i don't believe wales needed any special watching.

It may be true that there were no major open revolts after Agricola, but the disproportionate number of legionary/auxilia forts in Wales proves that it never became the model of Romanization that southeastern Britain became.

I have this book too, and reviewed it for the site. I think in the sum of things it gives a nice overview on how different sectors of civilization found their identity with Rome.

By the way, docoflove, you should check out the two works I referenced at the end of the initial article to this thread. Colin Wells gives a nice treatment of the provinces.