UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Romanization At A Glance

Ursus

By the way, docoflove, you should check out the two works I referenced at the end of the initial article to this thread. Colin Wells gives a nice treatment of the provinces.

Will do, Ursus...thanks!

Oh the things you find as you pack your crap up...

So, in packing up my files (the filing cabinet's gonna get moved this week), I found a resource that I've had, and completely forgot about. It's a linguistic overview of the western Roman Empire:

Polom

bath?

... rubber ducky ...?

(Is this a word association game?)

I believe Gracchi may have been referring to the city of Bath (Aquae Sulis), which had extensive baths comparable to any in the Mediterranean world. He probably believes it deserves a mention, as it runs contrary to the view that Roman civilisation in Britain was superficial.

I believe Gracchi may have been referring to the city of Bath (Aquae Sulis), which had extensive baths comparable to any in the Mediterranean world. He probably believes it deserves a mention, as it runs contrary to the view that Roman civilisation in Britain was superficial.

Thanks for the much needed lucidity.

The thing of it is ... the barbarians swept through Continental Western Europe, and Roman culture per se was still steeply embedded, to the extant that those people now speak languages descended from Latin.

Britain cannot make the same claim. A few Anglo-Saxon hordes and Romanatis disappears.

Even before the barbarian incursions, evidence shows Romanization was not extremely deep, exceptions like Bath notwithstanding. Few native born Brits found their way into the higher ruling classes, for instance.

I did leave citations to two books whose views I summarized. I encourage people to read Colin Wells at the very least.

I have ran into the book on several occasions but turned off by the "general" character of the book. Usually, and I dont know why, Im opposed to survey books unless I want to inform myself of a time period which is not in my particular interest.

Your stance on this book has grabbed my interest though.

Edited by Divi Filius

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran across this book at Amazon.com.

Cultural Identity in the Roman Empire (Paperback)

by Dr Joanne Berry (Author) "Cultural identity has become a prominent topic of discussion for both archaeologists and ancient historians (Webster and Cooper 1996; Graves-Brown et al. 1995; Dench 1995;..." (more)

Key Phrases: abusive governors, seviri augustales, funerary memorials, Roman Britain, Iron Age, Riu Mannu (more...)

docoflove1974,

Hope you find this helpful.